Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone but have wifi in their car? (Not your phone!)

(23 Posts)
Purplerainbow Thu 02-Mar-17 14:52:38

Can anyone talk me through it please? Iv seen a few gadgety things.... but I have no clue what I need! I just want the kids to be able to plug into it whilst on car journeys on the tablet. Can anyone advise what I need to buy and how this works cost wise please?

Thank you!

Purplerainbow Thu 02-Mar-17 18:48:33

Bump

KarmaKit Thu 02-Mar-17 18:53:12

We have a little thingy called a mi-fi. You charge it via USB as you would with a phone, we have a USB multitap plugged into the cigarette charger so on a long journey we can keep it plugged in. It costs about £18 a month I think, we got it with our Three phone contracts.

You can also get ones that plug directly into the cigarette charger but we wanted one with a bit more flexibility.

KarmaKit Thu 02-Mar-17 18:57:00

This is what we have.

This is the car one.

Purplerainbow Thu 02-Mar-17 21:07:30

£18 a month?! Seems a lot especially on top of how much ee charge me a month for my phone! Or is that a normal fee that you would pay anywhere?

Trills Thu 02-Mar-17 21:21:46

Whatever it is, it'll just be like A phone even if it's not YOUR phone.

CMOTDibbler Thu 02-Mar-17 21:24:19

Yes - it works through your phones data signal, so you effectively tether your phone to the car. DS thinks that the car having wifi is the best thing ever!

Purplerainbow Thu 02-Mar-17 21:32:16

So I presume it doesn't affect your phone in useage etc? I can't think of the words but I can sync kids tablets onto my phone so they have wifi but it obviously takes up my useage, does this device do that or is it completely seperate?

CMOTDibbler Thu 02-Mar-17 21:39:37

It uses up your data allowance in exactly the same way

KarmaKit Thu 02-Mar-17 21:49:04

I think ours has quite a high data allowance, and we didn't pay anything upfront for it which explains why it's quite a high payment. Definitely worth it though!

Trills Thu 02-Mar-17 21:54:41

If it has its own SIM card then it will have its own data allowance.

Purplerainbow Fri 03-Mar-17 06:18:19

Ah ok good. Are they all called a mi-fi?

Wallywobbles Fri 03-Mar-17 06:24:00

Loads of these coming onto the market now. I have crowd funded something called a SIMPRO. You add up to 2 SIM cards so useful for foreign travel too. Can phone using it etc. Look into getting a better contract though.

I have unlimited calls, data and text for €16. Currently I share my connection with kids etc. Regularly work on my computer using my phone connection. Never hit my data allowance.

Purplerainbow Fri 03-Mar-17 06:32:41

Sorry what is crowd funded?!

I want it to be seperate to my phone as when I let the kids link up to my phone when in the car it rapidly drains the battery (I do have in car charger tho) it makes the phone hot as if you're talking on it and I often forget to log them off so it keeps taking the useage as I forget to turn it off. So I'd love something just like the router at home that the kids can automatically link onto when they are in the car.

PossumInAPearTree Fri 03-Mar-17 06:52:01

Not in my car but in my touring caravan. I bought an EE mifi. With its own payg data plan SIM card. I can top it up online. You need to be in the vicinity of an EE signal for it to work.

ZombieApocalips Fri 03-Mar-17 07:18:42

You can download YouTube videos and watch them without an Internet connection. Handy for long trips.

I have an Osprey. I pop in my extra EE sim and the kids can log into that. I have a contract with high data amount.

Purplerainbow Fri 03-Mar-17 08:00:02

My contract has quite high data, they said before I never use my useage... maybe that's an option....

I don't let them go on you tube, they watch their videos through aps

ZombieApocalips Fri 03-Mar-17 08:56:58

Some Netflix content can be downloaded to watch offline. Videos use a lot of data.

ZombieApocalips Fri 03-Mar-17 08:58:02

There is a YouTube kids app if the reason that you don't use YouTube is inappropriate content.

Gallavich Fri 03-Mar-17 08:59:11

You can buy unlimited data for a lot less than £18 a month and they can tether to your phone when they want to. My entire phone contract is £22 a month including unlimited data which is more than enough for the occasional long journey.

Purplerainbow Fri 03-Mar-17 10:50:47

Eldest Ds has ASD and tablet is like a third limb so would be for weekends in the car but then we don't go far that often. £22 is good mine is nearly £40 but then it's paying for the iPhone aswell and I'm still in contract.

Gallavich Fri 03-Mar-17 12:03:24

Yes mine is sim only

GavelRavel Sun 05-Mar-17 15:38:01

i do it this way too - teher to my phone when in the car. I culnt find a way of making it economical to have a separate sim in the car.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now