Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

In a pickle with my iphone

(20 Posts)
WelshMoth Wed 15-Feb-17 21:47:42

I have an iphone5s. I've ignored update requests because I didn't want to lose my pics and video's. Laptop was bust so nothing to upload my stuff to, but now I've finally bought a desktop, I'm stuck in a vicious circle.

I cannot upload my pics and stuff without updating my iOS. If I update, I lose my stuff. My new desktop doesn't recognise my iPhone at all. It pings when I plug into the USB to charge it, but nothing pops up from Autoplayer and the actual iPhone doesn't appear in File explorer. I have over 1000 pics now and am desperate to empty my iPhone and store stuff.

Please, in very basic Tech-speak, can someone help me out here? I've even resorted to emailing myself my really treasured pics and that's really really time consuming (and will only do one at a time for some reason, even though I've selected about 6).

I've downloaded Google Pics and Shoebox but everytime I delete off the actual phone, the image vanishes from them.

Help! I am at a complete loss.

Posted in Chat for traffic too.

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Wed 15-Feb-17 21:49:34

I've never lost pictures or videos when I've done an iOS update confused

ceeveebee Wed 15-Feb-17 21:49:39

Do you not have iCloud enabled? Then all your photos would be backed up in the cloud without you having to upload to anything.
Ps why do you think you would lose everything when you upgrade, I've never lost anything (but please don't take my word for it!)

kshaw Wed 15-Feb-17 21:49:39

Updating has never wiped anything off any iPhone I've ever had

sooperdooper Wed 15-Feb-17 21:51:17

I've never lost photos when I've done updates? Maybe someone will come along with more knowledge cos I may well be missing something but why would doing the update mean you lose anything saved on your phone?

sooperdooper Wed 15-Feb-17 21:52:04

Cross posts!! The update doesn't wipe your phone smile

user1484603141 Wed 15-Feb-17 21:55:16

I've never lost anything when up dating but when you plug it in to a pc I think a box would come up with the option to open and from there you can get to the photos. I think they are in a sub folder, dcim, and then just copy to your pc. I would take a lot of screen shots and transfer like that.

Piffpaffpoff Wed 15-Feb-17 21:59:04

We had a problem with DHs 5s, when the laptop wouldn't recognise it although it would ping when we plugged it in/out. I can't remember what I eventually did, but I just googled pic won't recognise iPhone and tried everything suggested. This sounds familiar so maybe try this one first?

Simple solution: This is a Windows error.
Goto device manager;
Find any devices with exclamation marks
Right click each one and uninstall
Goto top and right click, select "scan for new devices"
Windows will reinstall those devices correctly
Now reopen windows explorer

Piffpaffpoff Wed 15-Feb-17 22:00:02

Google pc won't recognise iPhone, not pic obvs.

Ebayaholic Wed 15-Feb-17 22:03:37

Open a photobox account, download the app and transfer all your pictures over?

WelshMoth Wed 15-Feb-17 22:07:51

OK. So I'll try the update first....

Am trusting you all!

ceeveebee Wed 15-Feb-17 22:10:58

Have you switched on iCloud?

WelshMoth Wed 15-Feb-17 22:12:51

Yes, iCloud is on.
Sitting here with baited breath....

Howaboutthisone Wed 15-Feb-17 22:15:30

Good luck Op!

I had this before and I'm sure I just had to unlock phone after plugging it in and that did the trick?

tribpot Wed 15-Feb-17 22:15:49

Just FYI with Google Photos, if you choose to delete a photo it assumes you want to delete it entirely, not just from the device you're looking at. To free up space, that is to delete only from the device you're looking at, go into the menu and you should see an option called 'Free Up Space'.

From the Google Photos Help it looks as if you also need to delete them from the iOS Photos app.

Leggit Wed 15-Feb-17 22:24:34

Email them to yourself. But as above, updating your phone doesn't erase any data.

WelshMoth Wed 15-Feb-17 22:30:50

Thanks everyone.
Update has started. It's slooooowwwww....

WelshMoth Wed 15-Feb-17 22:39:50

Right.
Update was successful, all pics intacta. Pop up message just said though that no new pics are detactable so no upload. I have stuff I want to shift! How??!

ceeveebee Wed 15-Feb-17 23:04:28

If all your photos are in iCloud then you open iCloud on your desktop.

Do you have a mac or windows? If mac then they should just come into the photo app on your desktop. If windows then think you have to download the iCloud program?
support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202786

ceeveebee Wed 15-Feb-17 23:06:01

Sorry that's the wrong link, here is the right one
www.apple.com/uk/icloud/photos/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now