Talk

Advanced search

App's and Internet usage

(2 Posts)
WelshMoth Sat 11-Feb-17 09:21:15

I am a self-confessed technophobe. I'm pretty rubbish at all things 'tech'.

I'm iff skiing shortly and I've downloaded an App of the valleys that I'm heading too. It's called a Fatmap so I presume that's because it's moveable, 3D etc.

My question is - will using this app need for me to have the Internet on? I usually switch off the mobile internet switch when I'm out and about abroad after being well and truly stung after relying heavily on google maps in France. Also, what does data limits mean? I've exceeded my limits each month twice lately, so what does using that App mean for my data allowance?

It cost my only £1.99 to download
But I'm starting to wonder whether I should just rely on the paper piste map now!

Cindy34 Sun 12-Feb-17 09:42:33

Don't know that app but a lot of apps do need internet access. Some will use WiFi and download maps for offline use - I have an OS Map app which does that.

Exceeding data limit means you have used more data that your mobile plan allows. This will usually result in a charge on your bill, or that your get cut off from data until your plan resets at beginning of your bill cycle. Many apps will download things in the background, with an iPhone you can edit settings to stop some apps doing that when not on WiFi.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now