Talk

Advanced search

Need a printer for Apple Air Print but no cd drive!

(10 Posts)
HappydaysArehere Wed 08-Feb-17 23:20:12

Please would be so grateful as I am really need some help. I have an iPad and a Mac. So far I have been using my Cannon printer by using a USB. It is not connected to wi fi and doesn't have an Apple Print facility. I need to print from my iPad so thought as new inks are soon needed I would like to buy a new all in one printer. Looking at different models on the internet it seems as if I have to use a supplied cd to install them. I have no need for a cd drive so don't wish to buy one as this makes the printer too expensive. Do I need one? All I wish to do is use Apple AirPrint. Any advise would be appreciated.

widowerbutok Thu 09-Feb-17 11:44:14

I understand that if you go to the manufacturers website you can download the relevant software/drivers. May be worth looking at the site when you decide which printer you want.
If still unsure, google the question?

Best of luck

TheSpottedZebra Thu 09-Feb-17 11:52:25

You won't need a cd driver if both the computer /tablet AND the printer can access the same wireless network - which you wpuld need for airplay anyway. You just have to go to a manufacturer's setup webpage and go from there to install the necessary updates.

TheSpottedZebra Thu 09-Feb-17 11:53:20

NB airing is pretty standard now so even most £30 ish printers will be compatible.

LauraOL77 Thu 09-Feb-17 15:29:50

Not sure if it's the sort of thing you are looking for, I just got a new HP Deskjet 3720, great for Apple, I set it all up via an App didnt even have to connect to PC, prints, scans and copies and its tiny! I got it online for £56 ish, officeowl.

HappydaysArehere Thu 09-Feb-17 16:35:39

Thank you so much everyone. Laura, that Hp sounds good. I have a Cannon at the moment. Does it print 7x5 photos? Sometimes I need even larger ones printed on A4 normal paper as I use them as reference for paintings. Also which app did you use? Was it suggested in the instructions? Sorry to be such a no nothing individual. .
Thank you SpottedZebra. I didn't know that, it is really reassuring.
Will also do as you say Widowerbutok. Thank you once again(you have helped me before).

LauraOL77 Fri 10-Feb-17 07:24:55

Hi, it prints up to A4 (I got a free pack of A4 photo paper with it when I ordered), there are a couple of apps I use, one for the printer it's self, the icon is called AiO Remote, think I searched HP in app store (although it did tell me in the box when I got it) the other I use for the smaller photo's my son loves is HP Snaphots.

MrsPnut Fri 10-Feb-17 07:31:41

I've got a HP desk jet one too and the MAC found the drivers when I plugged it in by USB but I added it to the wifi network and we can print directly from the iPads, iPhones and my MacBook too from anywhere in the house. It's very handy.

HelenaGWells Fri 10-Feb-17 07:35:54

Pretty much all printers you get the drivers online now. I only ever use my drive to burn things to cd/DVD I can't remember the last time I used it to get anything off a cd.

HappydaysArehere Fri 10-Feb-17 09:23:56

Thank you Laura. That is really useful. Thank you MrsPnut. You make it sound straight forward which is what I need. Helena, I also have no need for a drive these day so relieved I haven't got to splash out after just buying a new iPad. Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now