Talk

Advanced search

Need a printer for Apple Air Print but no cd drive!

(10 Posts)
HappydaysArehere Wed 08-Feb-17 23:20:12

Please would be so grateful as I am really need some help. I have an iPad and a Mac. So far I have been using my Cannon printer by using a USB. It is not connected to wi fi and doesn't have an Apple Print facility. I need to print from my iPad so thought as new inks are soon needed I would like to buy a new all in one printer. Looking at different models on the internet it seems as if I have to use a supplied cd to install them. I have no need for a cd drive so don't wish to buy one as this makes the printer too expensive. Do I need one? All I wish to do is use Apple AirPrint. Any advise would be appreciated.

widowerbutok Thu 09-Feb-17 11:44:14

I understand that if you go to the manufacturers website you can download the relevant software/drivers. May be worth looking at the site when you decide which printer you want.
If still unsure, google the question?

Best of luck

TheSpottedZebra Thu 09-Feb-17 11:52:25

You won't need a cd driver if both the computer /tablet AND the printer can access the same wireless network - which you wpuld need for airplay anyway. You just have to go to a manufacturer's setup webpage and go from there to install the necessary updates.

TheSpottedZebra Thu 09-Feb-17 11:53:20

NB airing is pretty standard now so even most £30 ish printers will be compatible.

LauraOL77 Thu 09-Feb-17 15:29:50

Not sure if it's the sort of thing you are looking for, I just got a new HP Deskjet 3720, great for Apple, I set it all up via an App didnt even have to connect to PC, prints, scans and copies and its tiny! I got it online for £56 ish, officeowl.

HappydaysArehere Thu 09-Feb-17 16:35:39

Thank you so much everyone. Laura, that Hp sounds good. I have a Cannon at the moment. Does it print 7x5 photos? Sometimes I need even larger ones printed on A4 normal paper as I use them as reference for paintings. Also which app did you use? Was it suggested in the instructions? Sorry to be such a no nothing individual. .
Thank you SpottedZebra. I didn't know that, it is really reassuring.
Will also do as you say Widowerbutok. Thank you once again(you have helped me before).

LauraOL77 Fri 10-Feb-17 07:24:55

Hi, it prints up to A4 (I got a free pack of A4 photo paper with it when I ordered), there are a couple of apps I use, one for the printer it's self, the icon is called AiO Remote, think I searched HP in app store (although it did tell me in the box when I got it) the other I use for the smaller photo's my son loves is HP Snaphots.

MrsPnut Fri 10-Feb-17 07:31:41

I've got a HP desk jet one too and the MAC found the drivers when I plugged it in by USB but I added it to the wifi network and we can print directly from the iPads, iPhones and my MacBook too from anywhere in the house. It's very handy.

HelenaGWells Fri 10-Feb-17 07:35:54

Pretty much all printers you get the drivers online now. I only ever use my drive to burn things to cd/DVD I can't remember the last time I used it to get anything off a cd.

HappydaysArehere Fri 10-Feb-17 09:23:56

Thank you Laura. That is really useful. Thank you MrsPnut. You make it sound straight forward which is what I need. Helena, I also have no need for a drive these day so relieved I haven't got to splash out after just buying a new iPad. Thank you.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: