Talk

Advanced search

Temperamental internet access

(7 Posts)
WelshMoth Tue 07-Feb-17 04:13:12

I have a new PC. It's a HP.
All has been fine last few week a bit now, using the Internet is not very good.

I seem to quickly get access to Google or Bing, but when trying the hyperlinks it brings up on search, nothing happens. I click a link, but the timer thing just rolls and rolls and
I get nowhere.

My internet doesn't seem to lose contact - I don't know how to improve this. Help!

WelshMoth Tue 07-Feb-17 04:13:56

*but now

WelshMoth Wed 08-Feb-17 20:34:22

Still no access and I'm clueless!!

WelshMoth Thu 09-Feb-17 19:16:00

Final desperate bump

icyfront Thu 09-Feb-17 19:43:42

Standard advice is to switch off your router, wait a few minutes, then switch it back on again. It could be that you're connected via a poor gateway/connection, and rebooting the router can result in you connecting via another gateway which has a better speed.

It's worth a try. Otherwise you'd have to contact your ISP.

WelshMoth Thu 09-Feb-17 19:54:23

I'll give it a go, icy. Thank you.

icyfront Thu 09-Feb-17 21:16:55

Another idea: Assuming your internet connection goes via BT (which it could well do, irrespective of who your ISP is), then you could check for known problems via www.bt.com/consumerFaultTracking/public/faults/tracking.do?pageId=31

Either put in your phone number or click on "Loss of broadband and telephone services" which will show a list of exchange where there are problems. If you're in or near an exchange that's got issues, there could be a loss of bandwidth because of congestion.

Of course, it's a good idea anyway to virus-check your computer in case there's something rogue that's eating up your bandwidth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now