Talk

Advanced search

Advice needed about tablets

(6 Posts)
MisguidedAngel Sat 04-Feb-17 11:26:10

First, I have to say that I am a raw beginner. I have a laptop and am happy with that, but I don't have a smartphone or a tablet.

I have decided that for what I want a sim-enabled tablet is the best - i.e. one that you can put a pay as you go sim card into. I will be using it abroad, buying a local sim card. I don't need to use it to make phone calls or to stream media.

I have been looking at reviews, Amazon, Which etc. but it appears to me that almost all tablets are just wifi. Can anyone recommend a product? I don't want to spend too much, as this is my first venture and I could upgrade if I get on with it, so up to £150 . I also don't want Apple although everyone says they are the best, but there are disadvantages e.g. paying more for accessories.

DJKKSlider Sat 04-Feb-17 11:35:18

Asus Fonepad

I believe theyre pretty cheap, dual sim slot too.
Don't expect anything but barebones for the budget. £150 woith sim slot will only get bottom of range really.

MisguidedAngel Sun 05-Feb-17 09:10:39

Thank you DJKK. I have now emerged into the real world. Perhaps it would have been more helpful to say exactly what I want it for. We have a boat and go out as much as we can. We would like to be able to get a decent weather forecast at sea so we can decide where to go and how long we can stay somewhere. I understand we would only get a signal a couple of miles from the coast, that's ok (I know where from the signal on my phone).

So I would only use it for that, and probably for emails and a bit of googling. I do want a reasonable size screen (8" minimum). If I upped my budget to £500 could you recommend something else?

DJKKSlider Sun 05-Feb-17 09:35:22

For £500 you should be able to pick any you like.
I don't normally suggest it, and I will wash my mouth out shortly, but it may be just as easy for you to pop to Curry's / PC World. They have displays there and people you can talk to. Tell them what you want and they should be able to show you. That way you can feel it and hold it and make sure its comfortable etc.

Personally, I'd go for a decent smart phone like the new Google Pixel.
Tablets connected via Sim would need a decent data bundle and 4g really. A decent phone is made to do what you want, weather, google and email on the go. Plius its just one device for everything instead of a phone for some things and a tablet for others. Iyswim. smile

Astro55 Sun 05-Feb-17 09:41:21

If you aren't making calls or streaming then can only assume you want it for the 4G?

MisguidedAngel Sun 05-Feb-17 12:05:47

Excellent advice. I've just been talking to a friend who has a smartphone and she said exactly the same. I had a look and the screen is a lot bigger than I'd thought, easy to see the forecast and emails. I think that's the way forward.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now