Talk

Advanced search

Is btinternet.com a "net" address suitable for msn messenger?

(5 Posts)
mawbroon Mon 26-Feb-07 13:36:28

My dad is having awful bother with msn messenger. He used to have a virgin.net address and has now switched to btinternet for his email but can't seem to get signed up. I use hotmail and sent him and invitation to sign up (using his new btinternet address) and it seems to have signed him up to a hotmail account. Is this the way it always works or his btinternet address not suitable??

mummylin2495 Mon 26-Feb-07 15:01:35

i think you have to get a passport from homail to be able to use hotmail msn ,im not quite sure but i recall having to get one.

PersonalClown Mon 26-Feb-07 15:12:27

Msn works fine for me with a btinternet email address.
Don't ask me how, all I know is it does.

HandyTrinkett Tue 27-Feb-07 02:20:32

errmm... ...msn works using a passport address. Originally this was just a hotmail or msn email address. Then M$ expanded the passport program to allow external addresses such as user@virgin.net or user.name@btinternet.com to be registered as passport addresses and so be used to log into msn messenger.

Your dad should still be able to use his virgin email address and whatever password he had to log into msn even if he no longer uses virgin - the passport email address is essentially just a username....

mawbroon Tue 27-Feb-07 12:19:13

Thanks for your replies. He does still use his Virgin address Handy, but he wants it linked to his new email address which is fair enough I suppose. Trouble is, he's really not very pc savvy and he phones me up and asks stuff and I'm not much better than he is plus I have no idea what he's looking at on the screen!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: