Talk

Advanced search

Please help me fix my laptop?

(7 Posts)
RhinestoneCowgirl Mon 30-Jan-17 14:43:01

My laptop is a few years old and is becoming a little erratic. It now takes a loooong time to boot up, and there are some issues with turning it off too.

When it does boot up I get a pop-up telling me that "you do not appear to have Intel Rapid Start Technology enabled."

I've done some googling and checked settings and when I go to Task Manager I can see a programme called Intel Rapid Start Technology and it appears to be running...

Has anyone come across this please?

Tipsyscat Wed 01-Feb-17 12:02:12

It needs Windows reinstalling. I would back up and get someone to reinstall Windows for you. Windows slows down over time. I am doing this today on my computer.

RhinestoneCowgirl Wed 01-Feb-17 16:21:37

Thanks Tipsycat, will give that a go.

Tipsyscat Wed 01-Feb-17 17:19:09

Windows is pain for this. Shout if you get stuck. You will need to install drivers etc. I suspect that is problem. Loads of people chuck laptops out when all they need is Windows reinstalling. Such a waste.

languagelearner Wed 01-Feb-17 18:21:45

I've done that on an old computer, several times actually (different computers). I usually copy whatever I want to keep to a USB stick, if I haven't done so already, and then I go get Linux Fedora and install it "plug-and-play" onto the computer. It works nicely for things like editing documents (Word-like) and surfing the Internet. I usually get Linux Fedora here, getfedora.org/en/, the choice fell upon Fedora because I once read it was easy to use for beginners (= me). I would personally not try to reinstall Windows, have done so but it was painful, except for Windows 10, which was easy-peasy.

Tipsyscat Wed 01-Feb-17 18:32:55

Languageuser is correct. Snap that is what I do that too put Linux on but not Fedora. I use Linux Mint. This is another option instead of using Windows.

Tipsyscat Wed 01-Feb-17 18:34:55

It is Windows causing your problems rather than the actual laptop. So either reinstall Windows or use Linux. Fedora or Linux Mint are good for beginners.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now