Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Windows 10 update - and problems with mouse

(3 Posts)
unlucky83 Sat 28-Jan-17 18:12:56

Updated last year to Windows 10 from Windows 7 on my laptop- I thought no problems.
At some point I noticed my external optical mouse was dragging etc - it was a good few years old so not really surprised. I faffed around with it a bit, couldn't see anything obviously wrong with it (looked inside and it was gross - years of dust build up...) and got a really old mouse out (one with a ball) that was ok -but again had problems with dragging etc.-
I treated myself to a new wireless optical mouse - still had problems with dragging, losing the cursor etc. Checked the drivers were up to date etc.
Came to the conclusion that it was my mousepad (also ancient -with a few scratches and a pattern) - so bought a new mouse pad...it is still playing up ...
Looked online in desperation - and found that a few people are complaining about the Windows 10 and mouse problems - with lots of solutions - some from a couple of years ago ...and some supposedly solved with updates.
I rarely use the touchpad mouse - so I am a bit cack-handed with it anyway but I think that has been playing up too...
So has anyone else come across this problem - recently . Does anyone have any idea of the best thing to try?

I've tried to delete it and then reinstall it but then it crashes the computer - in the settings it says it is removing it - then sticks...
If I try and restart the computer - it gets stuck at restarting - I have to force it to shut down (using the power key) -then it seems to boot up normally.
I did a system restore and it said it didn't complete but that seemed to be due to a Java update done after the last restore point...
Looking online for help I could find something about problems removing blue tooth devices- and find I have the same problem - I have an old mobile phone as a blue tooth connected device - and it won't let me remove that either ...(even if I turn the WIFi off ...which makes no sense but seems to work for some people)...
Thinking about doing a Windows 10 refresh - but I have lots of programs and settings etc I'll have to reinstall etc...
(and firefox just updated and I lost all my extensions etc -so have spent enough time messing around with computers recently -really can't face that)
But at times the mouse is unusable...

cdtaylornats Sat 28-Jan-17 20:59:30

Turn of Cortana

unlucky83 Sat 28-Jan-17 21:59:10

I thought I had - everything in the settings was off -but I've now used a registry hack which hopefully has done it now (but how do you know if it is definitely off?)
Mouse is working fine at the moment but it is a bit intermittent
(not having a good time with computers ...firefox spellcheck had turned itself off - and I'm so used to it I'm lazy - just realised I've sent out an email to 20+ people with a typo in the title - that means replies won't filter to the right label...FFS)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now