Talk

Advanced search

private way to share photos?

(21 Posts)
celeryisnotasuperfood Thu 19-Jan-17 22:05:01

In the past I have used facebook to share our holiday pics.
I need to be more careful though not to publicise that we are away from home again in the future.
I would like to share photos though with our immediate relatives - what's the best way? Is it a private group on facebook or is there a better alternative anyone can suggest?
It needs to be really easy to use as this year my mum has joined the internet age, but is finding it challenging?
So do I set her up on facebook or is there something better?
Would love to know what programs everyone else is using...

celeryisnotasuperfood Fri 20-Jan-17 16:42:13

bumping if anyone can help...

Kahlua4me Fri 20-Jan-17 16:43:26

We have a family what's app that we use to share photos. Would that work?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 20-Jan-17 16:45:20

You should be able to choose who you share photos with on FB. Bear in mind though, that you can't control what your family do with the images.

auldfuckingspinster Fri 20-Jan-17 16:45:23

Yeah, was just gonna say WhatsApp.

PotatoWaffleCob Fri 20-Jan-17 16:45:40

We have a family group chat on messenger and I have a whatsapp group with a close friendship group. I don't post any pics of DC on facebook. I have no issue with those who do but it's my preference not to.

Bin85 Fri 20-Jan-17 16:47:47

Wait until you get home.

celeryisnotasuperfood Fri 20-Jan-17 17:16:54

I tried whatsapp but on the computer it needs a higher version of windows than either we or my mum have on our old computers...
We are away for nearly 2 months so its a way of grandparents knowing what we are doing on our trip so I would like to share.
I think it may have to be facebook and see if I can set up a private group - fortunately they all know about last years break in while we were away so know that I am trying to figure out a private way for them to see some photos.

NapQueen Fri 20-Jan-17 17:17:59

Can't you whatsapp phone to phone?

butterflycatcher Fri 20-Jan-17 17:18:36

Have you got a good Google account. Google drive is a great way to share photos. It does require all users to have a Google email account though.

butterflycatcher Fri 20-Jan-17 17:19:08

Ignore good

celeryisnotasuperfood Fri 20-Jan-17 17:29:17

pc would be better - mums eyesight isn't great and she just about copes with the phone...
Off to investigate google drive as I think most of us already have google emails and I can set them up for the rest...
thanks!

missmoohoo Fri 20-Jan-17 17:30:45

iPhone or iPad messages the best. Click all you want and send it all at once to another apple user.

Or google photos

missmoohoo Fri 20-Jan-17 17:32:06

Google photos holds more than the drive. It's unlimited storage

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 20-Jan-17 17:35:21

Google photos holds more than the drive. It's unlimited storage

Only if you don't upload original size (IE upload smaller). Drive space is dead cheap though.

nancy75 Fri 20-Jan-17 17:37:25

What about Dropbox? Someone could put it on your mums computer and just leave it logged in

doradoo Fri 20-Jan-17 17:37:42

You can set up a private family group on FB where only those people inn the group can see the pics. Just make sure you set it to 'secret' and that you keep the admin controls tight.

Alternatively there are photo sharing websites where you can upload pics and give people permission to view them - like shutterfly and snapfish - google lists some reviews of the best out there.

FlaviaAlbia Fri 20-Jan-17 17:38:29

If most of you have a Google account I'd use Google photos. Then you can add the photos you take into an album and either give people with Gmail addresses permission to view them, or you can create a link that you can send them that will allow them to view it.

museumum Fri 20-Jan-17 17:42:48

If fb is something everyone is already comfortable using Make a secret group on fb or just create a private album with custom privacy that only a few named people can see but you need to be very careful when uploading to remember to put them only in that album.

AshesandDust Fri 20-Jan-17 17:53:54

telegram.org is really excellent for family/friend chats and sharing pics - we use it all the time plus it has end to end encryption. Viber is similar - I have both because you can use Viber to ph too which is handy if you're in a poor reception area like ours.

Heathcorner17 Mon 06-Feb-17 10:35:58

There is a new app called Link-ages that is about to be released. It is specifically designed for grandparents.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now