Talk

Advanced search

Computer running slow suggestions please

(12 Posts)
nikkie Wed 21-Feb-07 19:11:49

LAptop very slow last couple of days, no obvious virus type stuff, have done dic clean up and will de-frag (only using 1/3 atm so not full).
Any more suggestions?

When I do disc clean up it offers to delete set-up files, what are they and should I delete?

TIA

nikkie Wed 21-Feb-07 20:55:52

anyone?

NotQuiteCockney Wed 21-Feb-07 20:57:43

DH says anti-spyware. Install Windows Defender (free download from MS) and their Life One Care stuff scan.

nikkie Wed 21-Feb-07 21:08:52

TA!

NotQuiteCockney Wed 21-Feb-07 21:10:36

I'd check for viruses, too? This site does an online free virus check.

ForeverBlowingBubbles Thu 22-Feb-07 09:46:55

Delete Temporary Internet Files, History, Cookies, old emails if using Outlook Express or similar.

I wouldn't delete set-up files (sound important!)

Go to Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs and remove anything that you never use (old games, etc.)

FBB

nikkie Thu 22-Feb-07 18:09:03

do temp files/history/ crap cookies (MN is terrible for adding to them!) every night
HAve removed progs but am only using 1/3 of memory so it shouldn't affect it that much should it?

Computer won't download the virus check, NQC any ideas?

Katy44 Thu 22-Feb-07 21:45:11

Does it run slow all the time?
Can you look at your processes when it's particularly slow to see what's using most?

mummylin2495 Thu 22-Feb-07 21:54:06

do you have any photos on your comp because high resolution ones take up a lot so maybe you could remove those too onto a disc, and any music.

CanSleepWontStarve Thu 22-Feb-07 21:57:12

A bit obvious, but have you emptied your recycle bin?

nikkie Thu 22-Feb-07 22:14:14

no music on, and empty recycle bin every night too, am ebaying atm so am concious of removimg pics I don't need!

Do have aload of pics on but as am only using 1/3 of computer didn't think it should be a big problem?

Will have to put them on disc, already have them on a pen drive but am paranoid about losing them

NotQuiteCockney Thu 22-Feb-07 22:15:37

If your hard drive isn't full, you don't need to go around removing things. They're in the hard drive, not in memory, it's fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now