Talk

Advanced search

Help a technophobe please- arrgghh.

(11 Posts)
Shakey15000 Tue 27-Dec-16 08:55:06

Apologies for possibly being a dimwit.

Bought DH a Lenovo (small) laptop/netbook for Christmas. I think I'm right in saying it operates with Windows? It has Cortana if that's any use.

He needs an app called "Recognise" so I found it on Google playstore, cost £6 ish, pressed "install", paid by Paypal, so far so good.

Only it now says "Installed" on playstore but I can't find it ANYWHERE on the device. I've checked "recently downloaded" "all apps" etc and it simply isn't there.

When I go back to playstore it says it's already installed. When I click "installed" there's a dropdown menu where the top line says "no eligible devices for app install" then I click for the rest of the dropdown menu where there's an unable-to-highlight/select phrase that says "No carrier Lenovo TAB2 A8-50F (which I assume is our device) then underneath says "Your device already has this item installed"

And that's as far as I get.

Any help? I'm not arsed about the £6, I need the app!

If anyone can help, much appreciated.

Tipsyscat Tue 27-Dec-16 11:12:12

Oh dear. Playstore is android so your Recognise will have been downloaded to one of your android phones or laptop. It will not work or even download to your netbook/laptop as it runs Windows. There is a Windows app store and they may have a similar app but you are out of luck re the Recognise app you have paid £6 for.

Naoko Tue 27-Dec-16 11:16:23

Hang on, are you sure that's a Windows device you've got there? I googled the model number in your post and that's listed as an Android device. Which obviously changes the advice.

Shakey15000 Tue 27-Dec-16 11:22:20

I'm not sure blush It's the Levono model I posted? Just assumed that it wouldn't download if not compatible? I get confused with Google accounts etc and synching? I actually don't know what I'm talking about!

Shakey15000 Tue 27-Dec-16 11:24:41

Tipsy yes I looked on the window apps and it's the play store one I need sad

Thanks for answering both

BertieBotts Tue 27-Dec-16 11:26:10

Does the screen look like this? www.extremetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/TaskView.jpg

Or this?

www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/650x488xchromebook-desktop-on-windows-8.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.gys5k390mh.png

You're not looking at the picture in the background so much as the bar across the bottom. Which of those does it resemble?

BertieBotts Tue 27-Dec-16 11:29:22

Do you have two lenovo devices perhaps? Cortana is 100% definitely Windows.

When you open up google play on a Windows computer it can install apps onto your OTHER android devices. For example, when I open up google play, it shows me my tablet and my phone.

So what might have happened is you've gone onto the play store, clicked that it should install into "Lenovo gobbledygook" assuming that meant the Lenovo laptop, but actually it's gone onto a Lenovo phone or tablet, and the laptop has a different model number altogether.

If you look underneath the laptop, perhaps under the battery, does it have a model number there? Don't post the serial number, just the model. Or a link to the website you bought it from (or PC world website etc).

BertieBotts Tue 27-Dec-16 11:32:44

Looking at the Recognise home page, they don't have a Windows app, only Android and iOS (iPhone). This might be the problem. I wonder if you could return the laptop and exchange it for a Chromebook. Or look at putting the Google operating system on it to turn it into a Chromebook.

Shakey15000 Tue 27-Dec-16 11:48:15

Ah thank you all so much smile

Problem solved! We have Windows laptop (and now new device) AND Windows phones. But DH remembered that MIL bought DS a little tablet ages ago that he doesn't use. Checked it and it's an android. Managed somehow to synch-a-ma-phy my Google account and it let me download the app without paying again.

Thanks for all taking the time to help <feeling the love>

Shakey15000 Tue 27-Dec-16 11:49:22

Mostly because DH needs it for treatment/therapy for CRPS so he's overjoyed. Small things.

BertieBotts Tue 27-Dec-16 17:08:18

Ah great. Glad you managed to get it working smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now