Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Office - different options

(9 Posts)
WelshMoth Mon 21-Nov-16 22:23:53

Does anyone know the difference between MS Office 365 and MS Office Home and Student? Confused!

juneybean Mon 21-Nov-16 22:25:35

Office 365 is a subscription I think whereas home and student is installed on one computer.

WelshMoth Tue 22-Nov-16 19:05:39

Does it differ in any way? It's substantially different in price.

RainbowHash Tue 22-Nov-16 19:18:14

As I understand it, they're basically the same thing/product. With MS office home and student you can share it with 5 different PCs/laptops e.g. Family members. So this would work if you have a company with only 5 people in. Any more than that you'd have to get a whole new MS login and create a whole new account. With Office 365 you can have a large number of users that is managed centrally under one company account. Users are then invited via email to download the product once you've paid for a license for them. Does work out more expensive. The '365' aspect means an individual can use it across different devices/on the go (e.g phone & tablet), but each user has to have their own license.

RainbowHash Tue 22-Nov-16 19:19:01

I think they've priced it so differently because it's two distinct markets

Herecomedanotherone Tue 22-Nov-16 19:37:27

I understood that home and student was a one off purchase which gives you access to four applications - word, excel, PowerPoint and something else. I imagine it will be on a disc and if you want to upgrade at anytime, you have to purchase the latest edition. Otoh, because it's on a disc you will always have it. 365 is a subscription - I think I pay around £8 per month - which gives you access to about 7 applications including publisher outlook etc, for several devices. Whenever any of them is updated you automatically get the latest, full version.
I chose the subscription option because I felt it was better suited to my wants and needs and the cost was very reasonable in comparison to the one off payment. I've had it for a couple of years now and have had no problem with it.

WelshMoth Tue 22-Nov-16 20:44:52

Thanks everyone. Amazon are currently offering a 5 user Office 365 for £49. Think I'll go for it since DD and I both need it on our devices.

cdtaylornats Tue 22-Nov-16 21:19:04

Unless you really need MS Office try out Libreoffice - same functionality and pretty much the same look. And its free.

www.libreoffice.org/

Milkand2sugarsplease Sat 03-Dec-16 21:08:43

365 is a yearly subscription which includes updates when new versions come out. the other is a one off purchase and you keep that version.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now