Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Please recommend a laptop for me. Clueless.

(10 Posts)
RosettaPebble Thu 20-Oct-16 20:11:24

Hi, I would very much appreciate laptop recommendations.

I am a full time student but also run my own business part time.

I do a lot of work online and will otherwise need to do accounts, essays and the odd presentation. I just use Microsoft Word etc for these.

Budget of around £650 don't mind spending less or a little more.

I have been looking online and the comparisons make my brain hurt!

CaveMum Thu 20-Oct-16 20:18:01

I've recently bought one (work paid for it so that I can work remotely from time to time).

It's THIS HP laptop.

My BIL is a computer geek and he said to go for an HP and this was one of the ones he recommends.

RosettaPebble Thu 20-Oct-16 20:22:13

Thank you Cavemum that looks really smart too.

cdtaylornats Thu 20-Oct-16 21:24:28

Personally I would save a bit of money and go for
www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-15-au077sa-15-6-laptop-white-10146649-pdt.html

RosettaPebble Thu 20-Oct-16 23:46:38

Thanks cdtaylornats that does look good value.

I will pop into store tomorrow and compare in the flesh. HP definitely looks the way to go.

Thank you both flowers

CarrieLouise25 Thu 20-Oct-16 23:53:56

Sorry to go against hp but have had 3 now and they overheat. Do research on processers first via cpu benchmark website. I have a mac now and run business easy now. DS has lenovo and that's better than DH's hp. John lewis are best for knowledge. Take your time x

hellsbells99 Fri 21-Oct-16 00:30:33

www.johnlewis.com/lenovo-ideapad-310-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-ram-1tb-15-6-/p2901246?colour=Silver#media-overlay_show
I bought this one a couple of weeks ago

RosettaPebble Fri 21-Oct-16 12:31:37

Thank you. Good advice CarrieLouise25

Thanks I will take a look hellsbelss99

Fyoosha Tue 01-Nov-16 14:29:57

I was just looking at this topic for similar advice, immediately thought of HP but interesting Carrie you say that, my last laptop (HP) has overheating problems too - was great though until it started whirring/switching itself off!

CarrieLouise25 Tue 01-Nov-16 15:00:36

HP are awful. They are known for overheating. We've had 3 between us, and all had problems. The constant whirring is like a form of torture.

I know so much more now (through buying errors!)

Avoid Currys/PC World - wide boys trying to sell warranty, not interested in getting you a good computer, and after care is appalling.

John Lewis every time for electricals. Longer guarantees too. And they price match, so they aren't more expensive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now