Talk

Advanced search

Is there a way to get wifi and not sky?

(11 Posts)
outofdepth Fri 26-Aug-16 18:17:43

I have sky but tbh can live without the tv bit - I just need the wifi

Are there any providers out there that just provide wifi?

yummycake123 Fri 26-Aug-16 18:23:10

We have Plusnet Fibre optic. We don't have cable TV but we have Netflix and Amazon prime (and use freeview for TV).
A lot of companies do broadband only. I'm sure Sky might do it as well (I know Virgin media does)

VoyageOfDad Fri 26-Aug-16 18:26:30

Loads of companies offer broadband internet connection, which then goes wireless in your home.

BT, talk talk, Virgin etc etc. depends where you live.

outofdepth Fri 26-Aug-16 18:28:49

Thanks - yummycake - do you mind me asking how much you pay a month for that please?

DesolateWaist Fri 26-Aug-16 18:31:35

Get your broadband through anyone who isn't Sky, surely.

Or do you mean that you need internet connection but not the TV?
I had that with Virgin but it was cheeper to have to TV than it was to have internet and no TV.

GiddyOnZackHunt Fri 26-Aug-16 18:32:12

Have a look on uswitch. It'll tell you what's available in your area and prices.

yummycake123 Fri 26-Aug-16 18:35:41

We pay £32. This includes line rental + broadband (fibre optic, I think it's called Unlimited fibre extra).
They do cheaper packages as well.

outofdepth Fri 26-Aug-16 18:36:29

Desolate - yes, I wanted to know if there's a way to only pay small amount for wifi. I'm with sky and have their most basic package with a discount on broadband after a haggle. That expires soon so wanted to ask mumsnetters if there is a way to get wifi only that is actually cheaper than getting the TVs as well

validusername Fri 26-Aug-16 18:36:41

Just tell them you no longer want the tv part of the package. You will still keep your broadband.

DesolateWaist Fri 26-Aug-16 22:53:25

I have literally just seen advert for Vodafone home broadband.
No TV package or phone line, just broadband.

nannynick Sun 28-Aug-16 14:49:05

Speed Checker websites like www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/broadband_speed_in_my_area_v2.aspx can help to see what providers others in your area are using. What they won't say is if it is a Fibre or an ADSL connection, though you can often tell by the speed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now