Talk

Advanced search

How do I play iTunes Music around the house?

(9 Posts)
singleandfabulous Tue 19-Jul-16 15:54:07

My old stereo died recently so I only have a couple of DAB radios and My TV plus my iphone so play music through now and I really miss the rich sound I got from my stereo.

What's best to buy? There's only me and really, I'd like to play my iTunes and Spotify and SoundCloud both downstairs and upstairs without driving the neighbours insane.

Does anyone know about portable speakers? Is this what I need? or are they shit unless you spend £££ on BOSE?

I'm so tired of listening to the tinny sound of great music on my iphone.

Would a stereo system be better but with multiple speakers? perhaps one upstairs and one downstairs?

I'm really out of the loop on this and the websites offering advice asume a certain level of knowledge that I simply don't have.

nutgrabber Sat 06-Aug-16 16:51:21

Hi - if you want to play your music upstairs and down stairs then I think you need to look for wireless multi room speakers like Sonos, denon heos, Samsung or one of the ever increasing number of similar manufacturers if these speakers.

I'm not sure what your budget is but as they become more common, prices will be increasingly competitive.

singleandfabulous Mon 08-Aug-16 21:27:13

Thanks nutt. I was hoping there was a budget version of Sonos but it appears there isnt. Such a shame. I bought a Cambridge Go (£100) after reading reviews on here but it's not very good quality at all. Best get saving.

daisygirlmac Mon 08-Aug-16 21:29:29

I've got a Pure voca portable speaker and it's fab, cost about £70 but I got it in the sale so you might have to search. The sound is great, the battery lasts well if you unplug it and I just carry it around the house with me if I'm cleaning or whatever.

daisygirlmac Mon 08-Aug-16 21:30:48

Should have added: it works wirelessly with your phone via Bluetooth so no faff either, I mainly use mine with Spotify and if i open the app it finds the speaker automatically

Justwanttoweeinpeace Mon 08-Aug-16 21:31:28

Try a Bluetooth speaker like an Audio Pro;

https://www.google.co.uk/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcSEwi3jYWf1LLOAhVVuBsKHTI7C7sYABAI&sig=AOD64_1TO-iWhmVAOZiok3lHsEuKWbFGQw&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwi9v4Of1LLOAhUPrRQKHSBJBLYQwg8IIA&adurl=

Lots of good reviews and really easy to use, you just stick iTunes or Spotify on your phone, switch on the Bluetooth and let it connect. It's chargeable so you can take it around the house with you. It just needs to be about eight metres from your phone or it won't work.

I love mine.

Justwanttoweeinpeace Mon 08-Aug-16 21:36:55

Also, a trick I learnt that might be handy whilst you're waiting for your new speaker to arrive, if you stick your phone in a big water glass or jug (empty obvs), it sounds a bit less tinny. Not amazing sound but not quite so ear bleedingly irritating.

Sequentialchoring Tue 09-Aug-16 09:20:09

I shouldn't be offering advice because I am useless with technology - and this may be totally off the point - but fwiw we find Deezer a lot better and a lot less complicated than faffing about with iTunes.

singleandfabulous Wed 10-Aug-16 10:10:50

Thanks for all the suggestions - I love the big water glass or jug idea!

Sequential I have Deezer on my TV but find it annoying grin I use soundcloud and spotify.

Justwant I have a bluetooth speaker but it's not very good, I'm not sure what that one sounds like but if I'm paying nearly £200 then I think I might as well pay a couple of hundred more and get a proper sound system, possibly with multi-room speakers.

The problem is, my car has a B&O sound system so I've been thoroughly ruined! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now