Talk

Advanced search

What does an Apple TV box offer that we don't have already?

(7 Posts)
Dancergirl Fri 13-May-16 16:44:03

We have recently cancelled our Sky TV subscription.

We now have a smart TV and a humax Freetime box. We seem to have loads of channels but not the ones the dds really want - i.e. Disney Channel and Lifetime (for Dance Moms!).

Someone has offered us their old Apple TV box but we haven't connected it yet. Will I be able to get those channels from Apple? Or are there any other benefits?

cdtaylornats Sun 15-May-16 08:06:12

The Apple TV is a streamer box and it can stream Netflix, Hulu Plus, YouTube, Flickr, iCloud, MLB.tv, NBA League Pass, NHL GameCenter, iTunes. So it wont get you the channels you are missing. Ideally you need a Apple device to control it.

You might find a Now TV box better.

Some channels you need Sky though or Virgin

Dancergirl Tue 17-May-16 17:56:02

Thanks. So not much use to us.

I have looked at Now TV but have found out that they are stopping the Disney channel in June. Apparently there will be an app that you can access the channel from. So I presume I can do this from our smart tv?

Now TV don't offer Lifetime channel either. Is there any way of getting it without going back to Sky?

AnchorDownDeepBreath Tue 17-May-16 18:02:05

Lifetime is currently only available on Sky or Virgin.

cdtaylornats Tue 17-May-16 21:14:51

The Disney channel will depend on when/if your smart tv upgrades. If you have an iPad or iPhone and the app is available in the Apple store then you can stream to the AppleTV box.

Dancergirl Tue 17-May-16 21:20:52

Oh. Apparently it's Lifetime that shows the current season of Dance Moms (Season 6 I think?). There is another channel we can currently access called 5star or something but they only show the old season.

We might try Netflix too, at least do the month's free trial. Is that worth getting?

cdtaylornats Tue 17-May-16 22:16:03

5Star you can get on Freeview chan 30

Lifetime you can't get on freeview or freesat. Its on Sky, Virgin and BT

As for Netflix it might be good but I can't find anywhere that gives me a list of things on it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now