Talk

Advanced search

Help iPhone Fell in Puddle

(20 Posts)
LIZS Thu 12-May-16 20:08:53

Dh dropped iPhone 5 in deep puddle 2 days ago. It turned itself off and not attempted to turn back on yet. Can anyone remind us how to dry it out please. The outside is dry but presumably still damp inside. Do we need to remove battery?

marmiteloversunite Thu 12-May-16 20:23:36

Turn it off. Put it in a Tupperware box, cover with rice. Leave for 24 hrs.

marmiteloversunite Thu 12-May-16 20:25:20

To be fair though usually do that straight away. Don't know if the rice will work its magic after two days.

LIZS Thu 12-May-16 20:26:17

Thanks , doesn't help he didn't tell me until today hmm does this indicator by the camera lens show it is damp ?

LIZS Thu 12-May-16 20:30:17

Thanks, I knew the basics rice would come in handy! Should it go in the airing cupboard? Battery in or out? It was Wednesday am apparently.

notsureaboutthis1992 Thu 12-May-16 20:32:56

If it was 2 days ago, probably not going to recover now. I dropped my 5S in the sea (a shallow bit) last year and it just died. Apparently you're supposed to try and turn it off straight away and immediately put it in rice or the airing cupboard for atleast 48 hours.

LIZS Thu 12-May-16 20:34:56

I guess we can but try.

wallywobbles Thu 12-May-16 20:52:48

Take out SIM card and leave open. Rice for as long as possible 48 Hours minimum. Leave it off though.

Majorlyscared1993 Thu 12-May-16 20:57:12

All is not lost! Believe it or not I have dropped y iPhone 5 in the toilet once and once in the bath... First time round completely submerged and made a full recovery, second time round made a full recovery apart from the charging port which cost 30 pounds to fix on the market. Don't panic just yet!

LIZS Thu 12-May-16 20:57:38

Can't get the back off! It is sitting in a box of rice.

Majorlyscared1993 Thu 12-May-16 20:57:52

Oh and I did the rice thing and a piece just got stuck in the headphone port... It doesn't really work either I didn't do it the second time and my phone was fine

Majorlyscared1993 Thu 12-May-16 20:58:29

You can't take the back off an iPhone the sun comes out of the side you stick a pin in and it pops out. You don't need to take the sim out do that when its recovered

Majorlyscared1993 Thu 12-May-16 21:19:54

Sim not sun!

LIZS Sun 15-May-16 11:02:28

Update: left it for 2 days in rice but still no sign of life sad Any advice now please? Still has 4 months of a ££ Vodaphone contract left.

MrPony Sun 15-May-16 11:06:03

If 2 days of rice hasn't fixed it then nothing will. I know it's not your fault but you're meant to take the battery out/turn it off ASAP so it doesn't blow.

I would suggest getting the cheapest phone you can find as a replacement until the contract ends.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sun 15-May-16 11:07:56

2 days is too long - the rice sucks the water up to dry the component out but after two days, they'll be water damaged anyway.

You can take it to apple, and they'll give you a quote to fix it. Water damage won't be covered under the warranty so you'll need to pay, and if it's not turning on, it probably won't be economical to repair, so they'll offer you a refurbished iPhone of the same spec for a couple of hundred usually. The cost comes down if they can use any of your phone for spare parts.

Otherwise you'll need to put the Vodafone sim in a different phone until you can get a new phone from them - they'll probably be interested in talking about extending your contract in a month or two.

LIZS Sun 15-May-16 11:18:55

Mr Pony, it was off straight away. I think the problem is the intervening 36 hours before rice.

Myinlawsdidthisthebastards Sun 15-May-16 11:20:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Majorlyscared1993 Sun 15-May-16 11:47:34

The warranty is void anyway as its been water damaged just take it to the market won't cost much

BertieBotts Sun 15-May-16 12:30:09

Rice doesn't actually do that much, it just makes people feel better! The problem is with iPhones they are all sealed so the water can't easily get out. You can try leaving it for a couple of weeks and then trying to turn on, trying to power it up by plugging into computer, etc. But you'll need to leave it a long time to make sure that the water inside has evaporated. A few days isn't enough. The damage is caused by a short circuit so the device being both on and wet at the same time.

The moisture indicator is inside the headphones slot or charging slot, you'll have to shine a light into it to see, it will be red/pink. But that will be a given so you won't gain anything from checking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now