iPhone car charger

(10 Posts)
whatdoIget Wed 06-Apr-16 00:50:39

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but I couldn't decide where else to put it.
I'm looking at a car charger for my iPhone, and it says it fits in the car's DC adaptor. My car is about 15 years old though, and so has a cigarette lighter socket instead. Is this effectively the same thing as a DC adaptor, or will my phone explode if I try and use it? confused

CodyKing Wed 06-Apr-16 01:07:18

Look up USB cigarette charger - sometimes there are two USB ports one iPad one iPhone - I have one - it works

CodyKing Wed 06-Apr-16 01:08:35

Like this - then add your own lightning cable

whatdoIget Wed 06-Apr-16 01:14:54

Hi Cody thank for answering. I was looking at this one which seems to be like the one you have but all in one. I'm just not sure if it's OK to go in a cigarette lighter rather than a DC car socket? I don't even know if they're 2 different things tbh? blush

CodyKing Wed 06-Apr-16 01:19:49

That's the same - but with its own wire - depends if you want to charge anything else in the car - kids tablet type thing

whatdoIget Wed 06-Apr-16 01:24:19

No just the phone. I'm just wondering whether it's ok to go in a cigarette lighter socket rather than the more modern 'DC adaptor socket' that new-fangled cars have! I think I'm probably being a bit dim and they're the same thing? Do you happen to know? Or is it really obvious? Thanks again smile

CodyKing Wed 06-Apr-16 01:26:53

It's the same thing - that said modern cars done come with a cigarette lighter anymore it's an extra and my newish car doesn't have an ash tray!

I think they are trying to move away from the association

whatdoIget Wed 06-Apr-16 01:30:28

Right so it's the same thing under a different name? Great thanks I had a suspicion it might be but wasn't sure. I'll go ahead and order it.

whatdoIget Wed 06-Apr-16 01:32:06

My car is definitely old enough to have both lighter and ashtrays (although thinking about it maybe it doesn't have ashtrays? Or maybe only one)

scenantrided1975 Thu 05-May-16 05:15:52

Try to look for a car charger adapter and then, you could easily plug your iPhone charger there. Hope that helps!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now