Talk

Advanced search

How can I get rid of bloody windows 10??

(5 Posts)

Somehow the Windows 10 upgrade has uploaded onto my computer - we have rejected it every time it was offered, but now it seems to have loaded automatically, overnight, without us ever having agreed to it.

I now have a dialogue box asking me to schedule the upgrade - so my PC is still running with Windows 7, but the only options I have are to install the upgrade now or schedule it for later - the latest I can schedule it for being Sunday night 11pm.

It does look as if I can uninstall it, once I've installed it - there are instructions on how to do this online - but I have a rather ancient PC, and am afraid that if I do install W10, it will cause it so many problems that I won't be able to get it up and running well enough to get to the Settings menu and delete W10.

Is there any way I can get rid of this without installing it? I have looked to see if I can find it in Installed Upgrades, and I can't see it there - so I can't uninstall it that way - it's like it's there but not there.

I have looked at the Microsoft site, but I can't go onto their community boards to ask there, because I don't know our sign-in details for Microsoft - I may have known them once but have never had to use them so have no idea what they are.

SpeakNoWords Wed 09-Mar-16 18:59:08

Would this article be of any help?

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-stay-on-windows-7-8-forever-3614204/

SpeakNoWords Wed 09-Mar-16 19:02:12

Although, you may well want to consider upgrading to 10 at some point as support for older OSs will stop eventually. That will mean they will become increasingly insecure as they wont have any updates or security fixes applied.

Good advice, thanks - and I will look at the article too! thanks

Speak - I've followed the advice in the article and, fingers crossed, it seems to have got rid of the 'Schedule Windows 10 installation' pop up - so many, many thanks for linking to that article!

I am in the process of switching to a laptop, that I will use either as a laptop, or, with an external screen, mouse and keyboard, as my desktop - but am not finding it easy to get to grips with the new laptop, so the old PC just needs to keep on going for long enough to get me sorted on the new one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now