Talk

Advanced search

samsung s5 or 6 & when to buy

(7 Posts)
ouchmyfanjo Mon 22-Feb-16 22:26:26

I don't often venture over to these threads but hoping someone may know.
My S4 has been great but has broken screen (still functioning) and running out if storage space.
As much as I'd love an s6 I can't really afford it. Am I right in thinking both will drop in price after the s7 launches next month or will I be best to wait longer?

DS1 wanted an S5 but we found that although it's still advertised on our phone carriers website, none of the local stores had had any stock for months. S6 was beyond our price range too. I'd say hang on for the new one to see if it does affect the S6 price, but we ended going for an 'off brand' phone with better specs than the S5 and good online reviews for a lot less money.

ouchmyfanjo Tue 23-Feb-16 07:30:26

Thanks mrsdmitri but now I'm intrigued as to what the off brand one is and how you found out about it!

TennesseeMountainPointOfView Tue 23-Feb-16 11:46:57

The S6 doesn't have an SD card slot, so if you need a lot of storage, you have to buy one with more built in, which puts the price up. The S5 does have a slot, and it's back in the new S7, so that's something to consider.

The S6 was an improvement because it got rid of a lot of the pointless stuff Samsung like to bung on their phones, but you can disable most of it, so an S5 should still be pretty usable, and should be fairly reasonable in price now it's two years old - depending on your network, it'll probably be around £20/month but no upfront charge.

If you aren't dead set on having a Samsung, look at the higher spec Huawei models, they tend to be cheaper because they don't have the brand recognition, although they are starting to creep up towards the premium end, or maybe Motorola.

It's actually one of the Huawei models that Tennessee mentioned weirdly enough. One of the guys in the store (Three fwiw) recommended the Honor 7 when we couldn't get the S5 but when we went back we ended up getting the 5x which he loves. Not my cup of tea, because it's one of those massive ones that's just a shade off being a bloody tablet, but it works for him. He particularly likes the fingerprint scanner on the back, all very James Bond and the fact it has expandable external memory (up to 128Gb with an SD card) so no real limits with music or apps.

NNalreadyinuse Tue 23-Feb-16 14:35:08

Not sure if you are aware but some jobs qualify for a discount in O2 and Vodaphone shops. Might knock the price down a bit.

I like my S6, esp the fast charging function and the camera but I don't like that they got rid of the memory card slot.

Namechangingbastard Tue 23-Feb-16 14:41:43

Love my S6 and very impressed with the previews of the S7 I pondered over s5/s6 when I upgraded from s4 but the monetary difference was minimal on pay monthly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now