If I end my sky subscription is there any way I can still watch what is saved on my sky box?

(13 Posts)
Katymac Thu 18-Feb-16 16:54:42

Please?

cdtaylornats Thu 18-Feb-16 21:14:43

Nope unless you keep the skyplus subscription at £10.25 a month all of the boxes recording and playback capabilities are gone.

Katymac Fri 19-Feb-16 07:10:51

OK - So I might go down to 2 months so DD & DH can watch the stuff....

Katymac Fri 19-Feb-16 14:21:02

If I cut it down to 10.25 will that tie me into a contract again?

cdtaylornats Fri 19-Feb-16 15:32:23

Yes but you might be able to negotiate a better rate

Katymac Fri 19-Feb-16 16:54:35

Nope I can't do that I l need to cancel it in April

AnnPerkins Fri 19-Feb-16 16:58:37

When I cancelled mine I was offered the sky box subscription for free if I kept Sky broadband for a year. This meant we kept everything we recorded EXCEPT what we recorded off the channels that were now cancelled.

AnnPerkins Fri 19-Feb-16 16:59:45

Meant to add, so we could use the sky box as a digital recorder too.

Katymac Fri 19-Feb-16 17:19:07

We only have telly - so that won't work

Thanks to you both for helping - I think DD will have to lose her channels

cdtaylornats Fri 19-Feb-16 17:39:14

You can get a lot of channels by buying a Now box and using limited time purchases

Katymac Fri 19-Feb-16 17:42:42

Sorry I meant her recorded programmes

lighteningirl Fri 19-Feb-16 17:46:19

We gave up sky went to a TiVo box am really regretting it I miss Sky box sets

NetworkGuy Sun 28-Feb-16 12:28:55

When I cancelled, I think the recordings became unwatchable some 8+ hours before the calendar end date. Sky presumably put in a 'cancel' command which gets transmitted again and again during the course of some hours / days (along with 'enable' commands for boxes rented by other people).

Just get everything watched one last time before the deadline... though you may be able to get Sky to issue a viewing card which makes it work for all the free to air channels (like a FreeSat box). I cannot remember if you'd get the high definition video services of FreeSat working from a Sky HD box though.

NB There may be a fee (but hopefully they just downgrade your card for free) - it's cheaper than paying 50-250 quid for a FreeSat box though and means you have a reasonable selection of channels.

I took out the hard disk and put it into a CCTV system - the Sky data is encrypted (probably tied to the viewing card) and completely worthless afterwards.

You can sometimes see used boxes for sale at 25 quid (500 GB box) which is a low enough price for a 500 GB drive, when added to a 50 quid CCTV system which has cameras and control box but no hard disk installed... Just as one way to protect your home and save on cost of CCTV.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now