Talk

Advanced search

Time to say goodbye to PC? Can manage without a laptop, just rely on IPad?

(7 Posts)
iamEarthymama Sun 14-Feb-16 11:25:48

The PC is ancient and close to giving up the ghost so I need to make a decision
All files for work and my duties as Society Secretary are on hard drive
Could I access them from iPad or do I need to buy a laptop?
I write documents and print from PC, that's about all I use it for at the moment
As maybe apparent, I am not tech savvygrin

iamEarthymama Sun 14-Feb-16 11:26:48

Sorry meant to say I would appreciate any advice or experiences others have
Thank you

SwedishEdith Sun 14-Feb-16 11:28:21

Do you do a lot of writing? I think you'd need a keyboard if you do. You can get one to use with an Ipad, I presume (don't use ours so don't know).

Woopsiedaisy Sun 14-Feb-16 11:36:53

I have the same conundrum.

Really don't want a PC or Laptop anymore but need access to Excel, Word, MS Money (really old) and Family Tree. I haven't found a way round those issue YET.

I also really struggle to print from the IPad.

So frustrating

cdtaylornats Wed 17-Feb-16 09:41:01

You really need to move on from MS Money before your PC dies

Pipbin Wed 17-Feb-16 09:45:56

Before you do anything else you need to get any important documents backed up.
If the documents are in Word then you will be able to open them on Pages but the formatting might be slightly out.
Pages can create documents that you can save as Word files allowing them to be opened and edited on a PC or as a PDF which can be opened on just about anything.

If you think you can do what you need to without a physical keyboard and get a printer that you can print to from the iPad then I think you could do away with the pc.

Pipbin Wed 17-Feb-16 09:51:24

Also, Word will cost about £100 for the 2013 edition. If you want to use a more up to date edition then you will be paying an annual subscription!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now