Talk

Advanced search

Best anti-virus protection for Mac?

(6 Posts)
Hygellig Sun 24-Jan-16 16:24:50

I have recently replaced 2009 MacBook with an iMac with OS El Capitan. I never had any anti-virus protection on the last one as I read that Macs were much less likely to be targeted than PCs, and never had any problems, but would like to buy something now for peace of mind. I tried McAfee total protection but for some reason it would not install and the help desk were no use. Any recommendations would be gratefully received.

cdtaylornats Sun 24-Jan-16 21:04:05

I've used a few over the years - my current favourite is Avast
The free one is here, if you like it then you can consider the paid version.
www.avast.com/en-gb/free-mac-security

lavendersun Sun 24-Jan-16 21:12:25

The average person using a mac for home use doesn't need to worry about adding anti virus protection.

DH has had macs since the 80s - never bought anti virus protection. As long as you keep the updates current there is not a need for it.

Exception being if you run parallels/boot camp or Fusion. I have antivirus on Fusion which I use daily.

Google it, I am sure that mac world etc will confirm.

MrsPnut Sun 24-Jan-16 21:17:24

I've had macs for many many years and have never had anti virus on them but we paid for trend micro for dd's MacBook Air purely because she clicks on things with gay abandon and never reads anything properly before downloading it.

KeyboardMum Sat 27-Feb-16 03:17:14

If I decided to make a virus, I would target Windows users. There's more vulnerabilities, more Windows users and it's a tried and tested path.

I wouldn't bother with anti virus on a Mac. Use Chrome to browse, keep to verified sites, don't download anything dodgy-looking and you will be fine.

TheCamelFromSpain Sat 27-Feb-16 05:31:27

Have been using Macs professionally and at home for coming up to two decades - you don't need it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now