Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How do we view TV abroad without wifi on a laptop?

(9 Posts)
pottymummy Thu 14-Jan-16 10:17:20

So, I spent hours searching for a family holiday and found a holiday park in the south of France that looks ace and flights that aren't too expensive.
And DH decides he won't do it as they have no TV.

I kind of see his point. We have 2 boys nearly 9 and 6 and they will happily spend all day in the water, but come evening they just want to chill out and watch a bit of telly. We have taken the DVD player to Italy before, but it doesn't quite fit the bill. They've watched all our current selection of DVDs. I don't really want to buy loads more. We have tablets, but the screens are tiny and there's barely enough room to download stuff. So they are just for games really.

There must be some way to pickup freeview or something on a laptop right? I cannot rely on wifi (otherwise it wouldn't be an issue) as its notoriously hit and miss (generally miss) in these places.

So I'm guessing I need some kind of aerial receiver. Prefereably something you can just plug into a laptop. I know nothing about this stuff. Speak to me like I'm an idiot...

specialsubject Thu 14-Jan-16 11:29:40

DVDs are very cheap now, look on ebay. Play them on the laptop.

cdtaylornats Thu 14-Jan-16 13:28:22

Go to Amazon and search for hauppauge TV stick

amicissimma Sat 23-Jan-16 15:37:24

If you want live TV you could get a portable TV eg, but you will always be limited by the signal strength and the quality of the aerial.

Alternatively you could watch catch-up/streaming/YouTube etc of various types providing there are no restrictions (eg BBC not available in France, perhaps), using mobile data, probably with a dongle, but unless you had a French SIM, you'd be paying roaming charges. Have a look at 3 who had/have some kind of roaming deal with some of their plans.

DrSeussRevived Tue 09-Feb-16 09:06:24

Can you download things from iplayer just before you go?

DrSeussRevived Tue 09-Feb-16 09:22:53

Also an aerial would just pick up local TV, wouldn't it?

Helenluvsrob Sat 13-Feb-16 18:25:48

Can you really not manage without tv? Am I the only one who finds that actually a nice part of a holiday. We have spend many evenings going for an evening walk to the beach , playing games ( rummikub took over one French holiday), reading or listening to audio books.

Oh and the kids playing in the puddles in the awning in Cornwall. That wasn't so nice I admit !

Artandco Sat 13-Feb-16 18:33:49

I don't understand how you can't go one week without tv? We don't even have a tv here for our 6 year old

Otherwise can't iplayer and similar just be downloaded onto a tablet. It wouldn't be much space surely for a couple of shows.

PrimalLass Sat 13-Feb-16 18:48:25

You can download from Amazon Prime now too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now