Which app to send messages between a person with phone signal and a person with wifi?

(11 Posts)
strawberrychewits Tue 05-Jan-16 14:38:14

During the day I have no phone signal at home but I do have WiFi. My dh has phone signal (not good enough for internet use) and no WiFi. We would like to be able to message each other throughout the day. Is there an app for android that we could use?
Thanks

dementedpixie Tue 05-Jan-16 17:42:52

Would messenger not work? Whatsapp?

youngestisapsycho Tue 05-Jan-16 17:46:21

Whatsapp or WeChat...

BranTurner Tue 05-Jan-16 23:38:48

WhatsApp or WeChat wouldn't work, they both require internet connection from all users. I'm not aware of anything that allows SMS => Internet messaging at the moment. However, take a look if your network (EE, O2, etc.) supports WiFi calling as this allows you to send SMS/call over WiFi which would be ideal.

See here for EE's page on WiFi calling.

TheSpottedZebra Tue 05-Jan-16 23:41:28

Could you just email?
Or do Google chat, or have a 'hangout' or whatever guff they call it?

TheSpottedZebra Tue 05-Jan-16 23:42:47

Oh, not good enough for Internet use.i missed that bit blush
Google Internet sms, there will be a few.

Fuckitfay Tue 05-Jan-16 23:48:50

I think there are Internet SMS programmes where you log onto something online and it sends your text. They were quite popular before the advent of wifi and smart phones

youngestisapsycho Wed 06-Jan-16 00:04:38

Whatsapp and WeChat will work with phone data, you don't need to be connected to wifi.

BranTurner Wed 06-Jan-16 01:14:39

youngestisapsycho, she doesn't have access to phone data.

"My dh has phone signal (not good enough for internet use) and no WiFi."

strawberrychewits Sat 09-Jan-16 07:04:06

Thank you everyone, we have now downloaded what's app and we chat and will test on Monday, fingers crossed!

lastnightiwenttomanderley Sat 09-Jan-16 07:25:42

If you're O2 (and possibly also ee?) You can download TuGo - you can receive and make calls and texts over wifi so sounds like this is what you need.

Saying that, WhatsApp should work with very low signal do hopefully it will do the trick. Added bonus of knowing when the other person has seen it so you'll know if they haven't and you need to contact another way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now