Talk

Advanced search

iPad Pro - anyone used one (and where to try)

(16 Posts)
LurkingHusband Mon 14-Dec-15 14:45:40

MrsLH could really benefit from the biggest screen possible (hence the title).

We could try the Apple shop, in town, but this close to Xmas would rather pull each others fingernails out with salt pliers.

EldonAve Mon 14-Dec-15 17:06:09

It is massive and heavy
Screen is good but it's not that portable

HappydaysArehere Fri 15-Jan-16 22:00:57

I was told in the Apple Store that it was too big for reading in bed. It seems a replacement for laptop rather than I Pad, especially if you add the keyboard.

ShhhBeQuiet Sat 16-Jan-16 22:25:33

You can try them in John Lewis stores. They are beautiful. <sigh> I'd love one but I can't think how I would use it. I think they are for business use and I don't think it's worth my while setting up a business just to be able to justify buying ne.

FuckyNell Sat 16-Jan-16 22:29:51

I'm using one right now. I love it. I think though that the only reason I was bought it was so dh could inherit my iPad Air ha ha. It's not cumbersome or ungainly at all.

andadietcoke Sat 16-Jan-16 22:32:02

Funnily enough I have the work one sitting in its box on the sofa next to me. I can't even muster the enthusiasm to have a look and have been using the box to lean on to address packages. We have it for work for a very good reason, but I'm not sure of their place in my day to day life otherwise.

JuneB1960 Wed 05-Apr-17 13:44:04

Hi Have any of you tried the new smaller iPad pro and how does it compare with the normal iPad?

HappydaysArehere Thu 06-Apr-17 08:33:15

Yes, JuneB1960. I am using the new iPad Pro 9x7. It is lovely. I gave my older iPad to my husband and wanted a replacement for myself. I looked at all the specs and discovered that the smaller iPad Pro had a superior camera to the bigger version. You can really tell the difference. It is really good. The screen resolution is excellent and another deciding factor for me was that I could get 250gbs which I liked as I take lots of photos.

JuneB1960 Thu 06-Apr-17 13:44:33

Thank you HappydaysArehere your reply has been a great help. My iPad is at least 4 years old, so would you say there is more storage, and is it lots faster?

HappydaysArehere Fri 07-Apr-17 14:29:24

The new iPad Pro 9x7 has a lot more storage if you are able to pay the extra. I think mine was just under £800 for the 250gbs. The one I have given to my husband was about 130gbs which was the largest capacity about four years ago. It all depends on what you need. It seems faster but not sure if this is because it is new. All computers slow down after awhile. Can you try out in a store?

JuneB1960 Fri 07-Apr-17 14:56:42

Hi
Thanks for that HappydaysArehere. Mine has slowed with age and use. Also I have used up the storage so will go for one with more storage. The debate is do I treat myself or wait until the one I have gives up the ghost?
Thank June

rabaria Fri 21-Apr-17 16:05:31

Can you ( legally) download torrent files on an iPad Pro? I don't think you can on an iPad, but is the Pro different in that respect?

JuneB1960 Fri 21-Apr-17 17:06:36

Has anyone heard that there is an iPad Pro2 about to be launched?

Akandra Fri 28-Apr-17 10:51:53

I own one and I carry it around daily in my handbag. Its heavier than a normal ipad, but thats because its larger than a normal ipad. Its not disproportionately heavy.

The only differences between the pro and a normal ipad are the option for the larger screen and the compatibility with the Apple Pencil. The Pencil is amazing if you like to draw as its just lovely to use (far, far superior to just about every other stylus other than maybe a Wacom stylus when used on a Wacom tablet). Palm rejection excellent and it all feels just like drawing on paper.

If you don't want the larger screen size a pro can have and don't want the Pencil, probably buy a normal ipad. The slightly higher processor will only have an impact on a few top end apps. You won't even notice for browsing, watching videos, etc.

If you want the larger size, then consider do you want to pay more for a heavier product in order to have the extra screen space? Only you can answer that question.

Note that although Apples keyboard only works with the Pro, there are plenty of 3rd party keyboards for the normal ipad so don't let that be a deciding factor.

AlexaAmbidextra Mon 01-May-17 21:57:48

IPad has died after 13 months and is beyond repair. Something to do with battery expanding and pushing screen upwards - who knew?! Obviously just out of warranty but is it worth approaching store where bought? You would reasonably expect this to last longer wouldn't you?

AlexaAmbidextra Mon 01-May-17 21:58:33

Sorry, meant to start a thread of my own. Please ignore.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now