Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Replacing an ancient Canon 350D any canon experts here?

(3 Posts)
Liveinthepresent Wed 09-Dec-15 15:32:42

Hi there my DH has a nearly ten year old Canon 350D which is now underperforming . Thinking of replacing it as a (big !) surprise for Christmas.

Can anyone advise what get best equivalent would be now?
He has always loved this camera and won't be too fussed about it being super high tech - but they seem to all be touch screen and HD video etc now so I guess things have changed a lot in ten years!!

Would be extremely hard to justify spending more that £500 but I really need to understand what spec he needs in order to be delighted with it!
If,this link works it should show 19 DSLR cameras - needs to include 18-55 lens as his is a bit knackered.

Will be so happy if someone can Unconfuse me!

www.johnlewis.com/browse/electricals/cameras-camcorders/all-cameras/canon/digital-slr/_/N-ak0Z1z141kjZ1z0riub

WMittens Sat 12-Dec-15 01:14:49

Does he have any other EF/EF-S lenses, or just the 18-55 kit lens?

If there's nothing wrong with the camera body, I'd suggest getting a good-quality lens. I used to have the 10-35mm, 50mm f/1.4 and 70-200mm which gave a reasonable spread of focal lengths. The 18-55 kit lens is a bit cheap and shit, which is why they're bundled with entry-level cameras anyway. The piece(s) of glass stuck on the front of the camera are (usually) the most influential over the image quality, so my advice would be to start with that.

I guess the 100D or the 750D would be the approximate equivalent of the 350D. To be honest, stupid pixel counts are not really necessary, never have been. Nikon's early professional digital body was 4MP and was plenty for creating anything from 8x10-size prints to entire building-side adverts. If he's just taking photos to view on screen and share electronically, most monitors won't show more than 4MP anyway (I've recently bought a nice new 27" 1440P monitor and it's slightly over 3.6MP). 4K screens are 8.3MP.

Liveinthepresent Sun 13-Dec-15 10:19:51

Thanks so much for this reply it's really really helpful - just when I had given up hope of anyone replying to such a specific question.
Going to do a bit more research today.
He does definitely want a new camera - and given the age of the other one I think that's a reasonable plan.
He has another lens - dont know the spec of that but it's a telephoto lens of some sort (clueless!) which I bought for him when we went on a safari many moons ago - it was cheap!
We do print quite a lot of his pictures but they are mainly snaps,of our DC - he has always been really happy with the 350d images up until recently when there seems to be issues with focus.
What I am now wondering is whether to get the camera now and a better lens than the standard one for his birthday ...
Thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now