Talk

Advanced search

Suggestions for a printer please.

(3 Posts)
HappydaysArehere Mon 23-Nov-15 10:06:18

Would like to replace ageing printer. Air printing would be useful. The cost of printing is a serious consideration and I would appreciate ease of setting up. I am confused by all the printers on offer as I wander around John Lewis etc. I print some photos, often on A4 as I use them for art work. I don't wish to purchase something cheap which turns out to be costly to run. I would appreciate any help from you knowledgeable people.confused

Ferguson Fri 27-Nov-15 19:01:59

There may be sites that do an HONEST comparison of running costs; you'll have to trawl through them all and see what you can find. There are also many magazines - in WHS, etc - that cover all aspects of computers, including printing.

Colour on A4 is never going to be cheap, and you also need to research the most suitable paper, as a good coated paper makes a HUGE difference to colour quality. Using bog-standard paper is just a waste of ink.

We have a Canon printer, with individual ink tanks, but depending on how much printing you do, you might find a laser printer a better bet.

Thirty years ago our first printer was a Canon BJC600, that cost £600, and our Acorn computer was over £2K. Today people just don't realise how the cost of 'tech' has come down, while power and performance has reached heights unimaginable a few decades ago.

We use the following site for inks and have found it reliable; and BEWARE of so-called compatible inks:

www.justinkandpaper.com/

HappydaysArehere Tue 01-Dec-15 08:47:07

Thank you Ferguson. It was good of you to take the trouble to reply. (I have just seen your post). I had not considered the importance of the paper. I usually look for something with a decent thickness. My dying computer is a Cannon and has been good but the inks are pricey and now I need Apple air printing. I will look out today for a magazine. I had forgotten that I always used to buy one for researching cameras, laptops etc. Also thanks for that justinkandpaper site. That is really helpful as I buy inks from a local shop which cost around seventy pounds for a set. I know nothing about laser printers as I print photos. I tended to ignore them for that reason. flowers and thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now