Talk

Advanced search

iPhone for preteen

(18 Posts)
dancemom Mon 26-Oct-15 20:39:52

Thinking about getting dd an iPhone for Xmas and looking for advice

Is iPhone 5c best option?
Is second hand any good?
If so where is the best place to get one?
Pay as you go would be best?

Thanks!

Minniemagoo Mon 26-Oct-15 20:48:21

IMO definately not pay as you go, whilst it does stop them overspending it is difficult for preteens to monitor. My 12 year old has full texts, calls and data for 20 euro (obvs Ireland) per month and so never has to worry, there must be similar packages available in the UK. She would easily spend 5 a week pay as you go and run out.
Also I personally am not an iPhone fan. The lower range androids eg Galaxy core prime has the same megapixel camera as the iPhone 5 for a fraction of the cost. It is 8gb but you can use an external memory card, it's 109 euro here so under 100 in UK I would imagine.
Perfectly good for what a 12 year old wants.
Hths

dancemom Mon 26-Oct-15 20:51:07

My worry with a contract is paying it every month if she lost it or broke it. I would have to get insurance. I have never insured my own phone as I'm super careful but dd is not!

Sticking with iPhone as I have one and dd has iPad so Apple for us!

Minniemagoo Mon 26-Oct-15 20:59:16

DDs 'deal' is a month to month, no contract and the phone was purchased outright iykwim. Sorry I don't know the packages available in UK but hers is vodafone ireland so there must be similar available from Vodafone UK. I get a text every month before they take the money and I can cancel anytime.
If you can get a second hand iPhone this type of deal might suit

Minniemagoo Mon 26-Oct-15 21:01:22

Oh and we have a family electronic insurance deal for 7.50 a month for up to 6 listed gadgets. Again it's a company based here but it's dead handy as it includes tablets etc

dancemom Mon 26-Oct-15 21:03:25

That option sounds good, will need to look into that thanks!

earlyriser Mon 26-Oct-15 21:15:40

Tesco do good sim only deals, I pay £7.50 a month for unlimited texts, 150 mins and 500mb of data. They also allow you to put a cap on any extra spending if they go over the allowance. Contract is 12 months rather than 18 or 24.

biscuitkumquat Mon 26-Oct-15 21:32:14

DS has an iphone 5s, refurbished from Argos.

He also has a SIM from Gif-Gaf. If you have a look at their site, they have lots of different deals.

I didn't want a contract in case he lost his phone (which was a possibility), we have free insurance through our bank account (might be worth checking)

dancemom Mon 26-Oct-15 21:32:52

That sounds perfect early riser, need the look into purchasing the handset now

dancemom Sun 01-Nov-15 18:09:29

Okay so I have a few more questions!

I have another 5 months on my contract. If I upgrade early it would cost me £125. I could then give my current 5S to DD.

Or I could buy DD a refurbished iPhone, wait out my contract and save myself the £125. I would also get about £150 if I sold my phone at that point.

So which option is best? Pay for upgrade and give dd current phone or Sit out contract and buy refurbished phone?

I can't get my head around the best option!

ALemonyPea Sun 01-Nov-15 18:16:15

DS1 has his dad's old 5c and DH got him a rolling sim only contract with 02 which is around £12 a month and he has never gone over it. He gets unlimited texts and 300 minutes. The web use isn't much but then DS1 usually just uses wifi anyway so saves on that.

ALemonyPea Sun 01-Nov-15 18:17:45

Missed your last post. What would be the buy out cost nearer Christmas? 5S is better than 5c IMO.

dancemom Sun 01-Nov-15 18:21:31

It would be the same right up until contract renewal date apparently

ALemonyPea Sun 01-Nov-15 21:35:28

Really? That doesn't sound right. Who are you with?

dancemom Sun 01-Nov-15 21:52:20

O2

ALemonyPea Mon 02-Nov-15 11:47:06

The amount you pay to buy yourself out is usually the number of months you have lefts monthly bill amount, sometimes t should reduce.

Try going into somewhere like Carphone Warehouse rather than an o2 store.

ALemonyPea Mon 02-Nov-15 11:47:45

So it should reduce, not sometimes

dancemom Mon 02-Nov-15 15:06:29

Thanks will go in during the week

Currently thinking I should get my current phone valued and buy dd a phone around about that valuation then wait until my contract is up in April, upgrade for free and sell my own phone to recoup the cost of dds phone. Think that makes sense?? confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now