Talk

Advanced search

Please tell me which Star Wars DVD / bluray setbti buy!

(13 Posts)
foragogo Fri 23-Oct-15 11:26:16

I am aware of all the controversy but just want to but a set of the original trilogy to show the kids before the new one comes out. I don't really care if its DVD or blu ray but would like the sound quality to be reasonable. Unadulterated would be great but I'm not mortally offended by slight difference, like half the internet seems to be.

Can anyone suggest which set to get?

PersonalClown Fri 23-Oct-15 11:45:28

The Blu-ray set is amazing but some of the changes are just wrong. And I say that as someone that just doesn't care for Star Wars.

I don't think the original theatrical versions are available to buy right now. George Lucas is really strict about his 'ideal' versions. Considers them improvements and won't release the originals again.

Then again, if he/Disney can make money of the originals, maybe they will be released again.

foragogo Fri 23-Oct-15 13:08:05

I don't massively care either but I did think putting the younger actors face in I stead of Darth Vader was silly. I don't suppose the kids will care that much anyway as they haven't got the history of the original like us.

ObiWanCannoli Fri 23-Oct-15 13:19:26

This is a great question I wanted to buy dh the boxset of the originals for his birthday or Christmas but Amazon put me right off. The reviews are so conflicted.

I really wanted to buy the DVDs of how the films were when they were released at the time, not an altered version.

I'm watching with interest as I'd love to know the right DVDs to buy.

Sgtmajormummy Fri 23-Oct-15 13:33:40

We got these DVD sets 3 years ago from Amazon as a birthday present, so they may be less up to date versions. About £60 IIRC. Each film has a second disk of special features, so plenty for the enthusiast.

We've already saved the date for when the new film comes out!

foragogo Fri 23-Oct-15 14:53:26

we need a star wars fanboy to come on and tell us which release to get smile

you're right, every time I go to buy one on Amazon I give up because the reviews are so conflicting.

TrionicLettuce Fri 23-Oct-15 15:06:46

As far as I'm aware there's only been one DVD release which has the original theatrical version of the films on.

You need these three:

ANH
ESB
RotJ

The un-remastered version are on the bonus discs.

There have been rumours that there'll be a blu-ray release of the theatrical versions flying around for quite a while now and to be honest I can't imagine that Disney won't do it at some point given the demand there is for them but there's no indication yet when it's likely to happen.

foragogo Fri 23-Oct-15 16:57:21

thanks! and which is the least offensive/messed around with blu ray version?

TrionicLettuce Fri 23-Oct-15 17:11:35

There isn't one really.

The first blu-ray release (in 2011) has all the changes made up until that point plus more completely nonsensical changes they made especially for that release hmm

The new blue-ray release this year is identical to the 2011 versions aside from the 20th Century Fox fanfare section being removed from the beginning of ESB and RotJ.

foragogo Fri 23-Oct-15 17:18:16

hmmm and what about an intermediate DVD one? not sure I can stretch to the 80 quid to buy the unadulterated DVDs. any other options? which ones would you show your kids?

so glad you're on the thread BTW!

TrionicLettuce Fri 23-Oct-15 19:41:57

I'm the wrong person to answer that unfortunately, no kids and I'm a total purist grin

I don't know if this will help but this is a pretty definitive list of changes in all the various releases.

It's worth looking on eBay for copies of the theatrical versions. A quick look suggests there are people selling them for around £10 each. It's the limited edition ones you want, there are some with similar covers but without the "Limited Edition" text which don't have the bonus discs with the theatrical releases.

foragogo Fri 23-Oct-15 19:44:53

Thank you - you've been really helpful!

ObiWanCannoli Fri 23-Oct-15 23:19:59

Brilliant thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now