Talk

Advanced search

Spreadsheets - how do I learn about them?

(10 Posts)
doceodocere Thu 22-Oct-15 12:20:48

I'm embarrassed to admit this, but other than a very basic version for use with primary aged children, I've ever got my head around how to use spreadsheets. I'd like to learn, for an upcoming work opportunity and because I'd like to be more organised about budgeting in my non-work life, Can anyone recommend an online tutorial which would be sufficient for the basics, or will I need to find a rl class?

tribpot Thu 22-Oct-15 12:31:18

I assume it's Excel that you would use as a spreadsheet program? Do you know which version you have? (Not that it really matters as they are all pretty similar).

These are some videos from Microsoft on Excel 2013, but even if you're using an older version most of it will still be relevant.

There are loads of tutorials online but if you wanted to invest in a book, I have found the 'for Dummies' series to be great for learning other things - there's plenty on the Dummies website as well.

See how you get on - I'm sure you will find there are courses running in your local library and similar if you do want some real life support.

doceodocere Thu 22-Oct-15 12:54:51

Thank you, that is very helpful! Yes I do have excel, so will work my way through those videos and if I need a human to help I'll ask the library if they're running anything soon.

tribpot Thu 22-Oct-15 17:04:00

Do come back and ask - in my last job I was programming in Excel (extremely not recommended and not my choice!) and there are plenty of power users on MN.

A bit of googling turned up this option as well - although I really would go for the Dummies book and work through its sections.

SilverBirchWithout Thu 22-Oct-15 17:08:20

When working through the tutorials, also have your own spreadsheet of something you would like to record, such as your monthly finances. It does help you to learn when you are doing something that is real to you.

SilverBirchWithout Thu 22-Oct-15 17:12:00

Excel does have masses of different functions and capabilities , don't be put off; as to be fairly proficient you do not need to remember it all, just be aware that it is there to look up if need be.

AnyoneButAndre Thu 22-Oct-15 17:18:29

The key with Excel is that if you think "gosh that's a lot of work, there should be an easier way" then there almost certainly is, and you should type
Excel how do I xxxxxxx
into Google where you will find somebody's answer to your problem.

WMittens Sun 25-Oct-15 18:43:22

in my last job I was programming in Excel (extremely not recommended and not my choice!)

Why not? It's one of the most enjoyable aspects for me.

tribpot Sun 25-Oct-15 19:08:54

It was a particularly horrific mechanism for maintaining a relatively complex, multi-parented healthcare terminology. And it was really bad at doing it. Unfortunately my brief didn't include a complete rewrite, just chopping out various concepts that were no longer applicable and trying to simplify and make it less fragile where possible.

lougle Sun 25-Oct-15 19:12:27

The best way is to just start USING it. I'm not being silly, but it does get quite intuitive and if you just google "how do I reorder lists" or "Make a simple excel spreadsheet" you'll find step by step guides - it really is just a case of following the steps. Then, the next time, you'll remember something from the last thing you did and you'll build a skill set.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now