Talk

Advanced search

Getting a tablet for my dad. No internet connection. Mobile broadband??

(5 Posts)
mumblechum1 Mon 19-Oct-15 10:23:42

I'd like to buy my dad a tablet to keep in touch as he's a 500 mile round trip away.

He's 82 and I've been looking at the Breezie which is a Samsung tablet specially adapted for older people.

Problem is he has no broadband and will be resistant to the messing around as he'd see it (he's recently lost my mum).

So, can anyone explain in words of one syllable whether I can buy some sort of mobile thingy which means he can get online without me having to get BT to put broadband in please?

Thank you very much in advance. I'm not v techy!

cdtaylornats Mon 19-Oct-15 11:50:26

You need a tablet capable of accessing the internet via a 3g or 4g connection. You will need to check network coverage for your Dads area.

You then need to get the appropriate sim card.

You need to go and ask to see appropriate options at a local computer/phone shop or even PC World.

To start Google "tablet 3g" and "tablet sim 3g"

DoctorTwo Mon 19-Oct-15 11:57:09

These mobile broadband things are pretty good, I use one as I have no phone line. It's a mobile wifi hotspot, and at around 27Mbps it's faster than most broadband I've used.

Before buying one do a 4G coverage checker to ascertain which network is best for his area. Then hunt around for the best deal

DoctorTwo Mon 19-Oct-15 12:00:02

The newest 3/4G dongles actually connect wirelessly, so you don't need a tablet with 4G connectivity.

mumblechum1 Mon 19-Oct-15 15:19:43

Thanks so much everyone smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now