Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Getting a table to split itself over two pages in Word.

(9 Posts)
Pipbin Sat 10-Oct-15 17:29:55

Word 2013 I think.
Every time I fill in a table and it extends beyond the bottom of the page the bastard thing decides that I would much rather just have the bottom of the table fall off the end of the page rather than actually putting it onto a second page like a person might want.

Anyone have any idea before I get too stabby?

StealthPolarBear Sat 10-Oct-15 17:45:41

What do you mean fall off the end?

DesertorDessert Sat 10-Oct-15 17:55:43

I think you can put in a page break, or just stop the table, and restart at the top of the next page. This is from memory tho.

poocatcherchampion Sat 10-Oct-15 17:57:32

Use split table.

It sounds like you are stretching it beyond the margins

Pipbin Sat 10-Oct-15 18:03:13

What do you mean fall off the end?
Well the page ends but the table carries on beyond it rather than adding another page and splitting it over that.

I've tried splitting the table and adding another page but it still stays on the one page and over runs it.

Boredofthinkingofnewnames Sat 10-Oct-15 18:23:17

You need to put a page break at the end of the column before you want it to go to the next page.

WMittens Sat 10-Oct-15 20:37:53

word.mvps.org/faqs/tblsfldsfms/ControlPgBrksInTables.htm

FishWithABicycle Sun 25-Oct-15 19:30:33

You don't need to split the table. There's an option in table properties to allow table to break across pages - you've probably got it defaulting to not allow a table to break.

Fstopatmn Mon 26-Oct-15 20:04:29

Hope this helps
How to Make a Table Spread Across Pages in Microsoft Word
by Kathryn Hatashita-Lee, Demand Media
Microsoft Word includes layout options to divide a table across two or more pages. A long table divided into more manageable sections on separate pages helps your viewers focus on your data for analysis. You also can select the row with the data you want to move to the next page. For example, if the rows refer to multiple regions, you can divide the table to show one region per page for a more streamlined look. The divided sections include a Table Move Handle icon for quick placement on your page layout.
Step 1
Click in the document where you want to insert a table. Click the "Insert" tab on the command ribbon and then click "Table" in the Tables group to open the menu. Select the options to insert the table. Enter your text in the table and apply the tools to edit your table.
Step 2
Click the table to bring up the Table Tools ribbon and the Design and Layout tabs. Click the "Layout" tab, click "Properties" in the Table group to bring up the dialog box, and then click the "Row" sheet tab to view the Row options.
Step 3
Click to add a tick in the check box next to "Allow row to break across pages" in the Options section. Click "OK" to save and close the Table Properties box.
Step 4
Click the table row you want to move to the next page, and then press "Ctrl-Enter" to separate the table on two pages.
Step 5
Press "Ctrl-S" to save this updated document.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now