New router? Extender? Move phone socket?

(6 Posts)
GooseFriend Fri 04-Sep-15 19:46:27

The phone line in my house enters into the bedroom which is in the extension, this is the only plug socket. The router is attached to this but the signal doesn't reach the rest of the house so I've had a tp-link wifi extender for approx 3 years. This has today died.

What I want is wifi all over the house, so to achieve this am I best:
- paying BT c. £150 to move phone line
- getting someone to fit a phone socket extension (I've read with these the signal decreases the longer the wire is so router best plugged into master so that wouldn't help me)
- replacing router
- buying just a signal booster
- replacing dead tp-link
- mix of above
- something else?

As I side note Cromecast was worked at beginning of year but now won't. Not sure if this could be because it was connected via tp-link but should actually be connected directly to router?

Any advice very gratefully received!

cdtaylornats Sat 05-Sep-15 12:12:16

Look at the various powerline adapters available. They use the electrical network in your house to extend the wifi.

Pneumometer Sat 05-Sep-15 16:18:27

getting someone to fit a phone socket extension (I've read with these the signal decreases the longer the wire is so router best plugged into master so that wouldn't help me)

That's right for a phone extension (you don't say if you have BT Infinity, but for VDSL it pretty much has to be plugged into the master socket). But you could have someone run ethernet (Cat5, etc) from where the router currently is to someone more advantageous, and put a wireless access point there. But powerline adapters would be better, as cd says.

Pneumometer Sat 05-Sep-15 16:20:04

This is the kiddie, by the way:

www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WPA281-Wireless-Powerline-Extender/dp/B0067GS0YO

amicissimma Sun 06-Sep-15 17:30:47

A while ago I had a chat with A Very Helpful Person at Plusnet on this very subject.

On his advice I upgraded the router (we were using an old G one) which involved taking out a new and cheaper contract and bought a powerline extender. As he suggested, I got one that is the same make as the router, which he said might make a difference. The make of the router was on a tiny sticker on the base. The extender is this one.

The difference has been amazing. Why didn't I do it years ago? I now have reliable WiFi everywhere.

GooseFriend Mon 07-Sep-15 14:06:49

All fab advice! Had a chat with supplier and new router (on cheaper contract!) on route. Will see if that helps then work out whether to use wiring to extend or just run an Ethernet cable to the PC.

Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now