Simple to use tablet for my parents

(16 Posts)
AnOddOod Thu 30-Jul-15 06:36:12

Any ideas? Budget not really an issue but they won't use it enough to pay for an iPad iyswim.
I don't know much beyond apple. Dd2 had a Hudl and it kept breaking but that could have been her...

Cyrli Thu 30-Jul-15 06:48:04

I was going to suggest a Hudl, my 8 yr old has one (Christmas present) and we've had no problems with it. What about a Samung Galaxy tablet? Much cheaper than an ipad.

Trebushay Thu 30-Jul-15 06:54:48

My mum has a galaxy tablet uses it a lot and it's easy to use

JugglingChaotically Thu 30-Jul-15 07:07:27

Have tried the same for v elderly DM iPad works and is worth the extra.

IDreamOfPuffins Thu 30-Jul-15 07:15:15

Nexus tablets are good. My parents have the Nexus 10 and can use it no problem (Mum fairly ok with computers anyway, Dad useless).

With Android you can have multiple user accounts, which means they can each have their own games, photos etc. Also means they can both install the same game and then play against each other, which appears to be how they spend their evenings grin

ThisOneAndThatOne Thu 30-Jul-15 07:21:27

I alway think that the best one for parents is the whatever one you have.

Then it's easier for you to help them out if they ever need advice.

My mother had a different phone to me and I hate it when she asks me questions. Takes so long to find the answer. If she had the same model as me, then it would be so much easier.

CoodleMoodle Thu 30-Jul-15 07:52:24

Agree with PP about having the same as you if possible. DM and I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 each, and she does quite well with it. She's fairly PC literate (can do the things she likes to do but not much else, which is fine) but I have to update apps - she can download them by herself but doesn't think to update - and sort out problems. Overall she prefers her laptop but does use the tablet every now and then.

She also bought a case for it which came with a stylus, and she finds that easier than using her finger. Other than that she doesn't mind the touchscreen, but refuses to have a touchscreen phone because it's 'too difficult' confused grin

The Galaxy was fairly cheap but please don't get a super cheap one as they can often be slow and frustrating, with less support if there's a problem.

TobleroneBoo Thu 30-Jul-15 08:03:36

Avoid the kindle fire as they are bloody hard work

noblegiraffe Thu 30-Jul-15 08:10:25

What about an iPad mini 2? They're just over £200. My parents have a mini and they love it.

AnOddOod Thu 30-Jul-15 08:12:12

I've got a kindle fire grin that's why I'm not getting them what I've got grin

I'll send dd1 to sort out any problems. She does their phones anyway.

TobleroneBoo Thu 30-Jul-15 08:13:17

I loved it when I first got it for the reading aspect, and I have figured out how to watch movies, but everything else seems to take forever and freeze on it!

Think I'll get on better with an iPad

AnOddOod Thu 30-Jul-15 08:13:21

Galaxy , iPad & hudl to compare then.

AnOddOod Thu 30-Jul-15 08:13:32

Thanks flowers

BalloonSlayer Thu 30-Jul-15 08:21:57

Second Nexus 10 as pp has said. DH has got one and is now quite proficient - he is utterly clueless re technology..

AnOddOod Thu 30-Jul-15 08:26:15

Ok will look at that too.

BikeRunSki Thu 30-Jul-15 08:27:28

We've had no problems with ds's mark1 Hudl. He's 6 and navigates it with ease. I was going to say to avoid Kindle Fire.... DM has one, it's not that intuitive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now