Talk

Advanced search

very cheap light notebook required

(7 Posts)
lurkingfromhome Wed 01-Jul-15 22:45:29

My laptop has just died but no great tragedy as I never liked it much anyway. I do 99% of my work at home on a PC but every now and then I like to go to a café for a change of scene. So I need a super light thing for working on Word and Excel docs plus emailing and Internet. That's it. Nothing fancy, as it's just for occasional use.

I really don't want to spend much on this as most of the time it will sit around unused while I work on the PC. Husband might want to use it for internet surfing now and then. Second hand is fine as long as it works.

What should I look for and how little can I get away with spending? I've seen an Asus notebook with Windows. 8.1 on Amazon marketplace for £125, used but vg condition. Would this be worth a punt?

codewaist Thu 02-Jul-15 08:21:17

How about a Chromebook? This [Lenovo](http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3325407.htm) is £150 and has a long battery life. It's not quite as light as I'd like and not as cool as an MB air but it is a lot less

lurkingfromhome Thu 02-Jul-15 08:33:53

Aah, thanks code. I weighed my current laptop and it's around 3.5 kg so this would be much lighter and easier to schlep about with. I will have a look and see if I have any Nectar points hanging around that might give me even more of a discount.

NetworkGuy Fri 03-Jul-15 00:19:17

If you really need Word and Excel, then be aware than unlike a regular PC or Mac, you'll be restricted in what 'extras' can be installed on a Chromebook.

It is, as the name implies, going to be running the Google Chrome OS. I know Microsoft has plans for support of pretty much all platforms, but would hate for you to find that documents you work on are no good back (eg compatibility/ formatting issues) at the work HQ, if you see what I mean.

AlpacaMyBags Fri 03-Jul-15 00:43:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lurkingfromhome Mon 06-Jul-15 10:03:56

Thanks, both of you. Yep, I do need Word and Excel and so I think it's back to the drawing board in my search ... I'm still looking at the notebook I saw on Amazon marketplace but it only has 2 gb of ram and I think I really need 4 gb to avoid it being far too slow. I think I'd better up my budget a bit ...

Petallic Mon 06-Jul-15 10:10:21

My last laptop was an Asus aspire 3935 - 14", lightweight, hd screen and did me through uni and my computing degree - I've only upgraded because now I use photoshop/illustrator a lot and it did slow my old laptop. However the aver did fine for browsing/word/excel. They're about £100 now refurb. There is a known fault with the wireless button (I had a warranty repair) but if you did get a wonky one - a plug-in wireless single bypasses the problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now