Help! Inappropriate stuff on DS's phone!

(22 Posts)
MrsPiddlewink Tue 16-Jun-15 20:11:55

He's just come down all upset because he thinks he will be in trouble.

He was looking up cool cars and pics of cars + women have come up... he was really worried. We've had a chat and I said I will sort it - but how? ?

mawbroon Tue 16-Jun-15 20:13:42

How old is he?

MrsPiddlewink Tue 16-Jun-15 20:14:52

sparkysparkysparky Tue 16-Jun-15 20:15:23

If it's tech advice you need and clearing the cache on his phone doesn't work, ask mumsnet to move this to Geeky Stuff.
Poor thing. Doesn’t sound like he went looking for it.

MrsPiddlewink Tue 16-Jun-15 20:17:22

Thanks - will do.

I had safe search on but these got through.

YouTube is banned because of the language used on Minecraft videos - It's a bloody nightmare!!

sparkysparkysparky Tue 16-Jun-15 20:19:16

Big up to him that he came to you about it. I'd be impressed with that. I agree it's a nightmare.

RebeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 16-Jun-15 20:22:45

We've moved this one over to Geeky stuff now at the OPs request.
Good luck OP!

MrsPiddlewink Tue 16-Jun-15 20:22:51

Oh I did - said I was really proud that he recognised he was uncomfortable with it and was able to talk to me about it. He was so upset, but seems better now.

He panicked and cleared the history so I'm slighlty concerned there might be more he's not telling me (out of embarrassment) but nothing more I can do I suppose

MrsPiddlewink Tue 16-Jun-15 20:32:47

Bump

MrsPiddlewink Tue 16-Jun-15 20:50:34

Anyway I can recover deleted history?

MrsPiddlewink Tue 16-Jun-15 21:14:46

Help!

MrsPiddlewink Wed 17-Jun-15 07:41:34

Morning bump

MrsPiddlewink Wed 17-Jun-15 09:50:13

Perhaps I should have left this in chat!

cozietoesie Wed 17-Jun-15 14:03:36

What kind of phone is it Mrs?

cozietoesie Wed 17-Jun-15 14:07:23

PS. Tell him - and it's true - that the bad guys specifically load 'enticing' sites eg with fast cars with naughties. (Hoping, I guess, that young males will see the pics and delve further - maybe get the device caught in something bad.) Does he have access to any other devices in the household by the way?

mariposa10 Wed 17-Jun-15 14:11:32

In my view a 10 year old doesn't need access to the Internet on a mobile phone. Especially if you're not tech savvy enough to protect him from looking up dodgy stuff. If he's upset enough about what he's seeing to come to you about it I think that's a sign you should remove his access.

cozietoesie Wed 17-Jun-15 14:19:02

I don't think you can realistically stop them from internet access these days, mariposa. This could be a good life lesson for him - especially when the OP explains that they aren't really after him at all but rather after the filthy lucre which might come from (parental) info and ccs. 'Naughtiness' is one thing but money can strike very cold indeed.

sparkysparkysparky Wed 17-Jun-15 14:27:44

I know you want to retrieve the history to see what he's seen. I'd focus on future browsing. If he was sensible enough to talk to you I'd nurture that.
We can put blockers on our router (sky) but I'm guessing that others have the same and to be honest I'm not sure you can ever stop stuff getting through inadvertently.
He's got some good instincts that other parents would love to see in their children.
I'm sorry you got no joy from Geeky Stuff.

cozietoesie Wed 17-Jun-15 14:44:15

Mrs

I don't know whether you'll be back but you might like to have a delve into this. If you go into the links, there's a section on child internet safety and - within that - a section on mobile safety. Lots of stuff which might be of use to you.

lilivonshtupp Wed 17-Jun-15 14:49:15

Not sure I agree with you there Cozie.

DD is 11 and I still won't allow her her own iPhone (type thing) because of exactly this.
She is allowed to use my laptop though, but only in communal rooms.

I'm afraid that however strong the filters are, kids are definitely being exposed to some pretty horrific stuff. I'm friends with a lot of teachers and they are faced with many students who have been traumatised by what they are seeing online, or forced to see by other students. One little darling showed his year 7 friends a video of a beheading. shock

I think, OP, you should be happy that your DS has shown you this MrsPidd. I've no advice on filters I'm afraid.

cozietoesie Wed 17-Jun-15 15:05:08

Oh I agree that some of the web content that they can get to is quite horrific - and whatever software barriers you put in place, there are some kids (as there are some people) that are determined to get round it. I remember some techies on a system I had input to once saying that a sizeable portion of their job was simply to keep up to speed with the youngsters and their 'little ways'.

Being hacked is a horror to me (the one thing which is really likely to send me loopy) but at the end of it, common sense is the best thing to avoid trouble. (Software is extraordinarily useful but isn't perfect.) A problem is that most children and many adults have no common sense and if they're prevented from doing something daft on their own devices by some means, there will likely be plenty of friends and acquaintances to do it for them.

I'd be proud of him,*OP*.

MrsPiddlewink Wed 17-Jun-15 16:47:50

Thanks everyone - I went back to chat and have had a good response there

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now