Talk

Advanced search

How do I change passwords stored by webistes?

(3 Posts)

I have a number of websites (eg MN) where I have had to change my password due to site issues. I had saved the password by clicking on 'yes' option when it comes up onscreen; now I don't know how to change it and need to look it up and put it in manually every time. And another thing; my ipad 2 doesn't save passwords. Does anyone know how to do it?

NetworkGuy Sun 14-Jun-15 09:41:26

Which browser are you using at present ? (Sorry, wasn't clear from query.)

Some browsers (Firefox and Chrome, in the past, but policy may have changed since some of my gear is older and cannot get latest versions of all browsers) could store and display any saved passwords (I used to take screen shots of all the sites / usernames / passwords held by Firefox), but now some websites are using different methods - sometimes not calling it the "username" at all (so browsers that "store" won't see a username prompt).

I saw LastPass.com recommended on TWiT.TV and have been using it for many months now. It's free for use on desktop systems but they charge a fee for mobile phone versions (and I have no iPad to test it on).

They have add-ons for several different browsers, it will read in any existing details and then give you the option of using only LastPass. Your login details are backed up to their servers but encrypted so it should not be trivial for someone to steal your login details (whether one considers their staff or, perhaps, some hackers).

Goodness .. much more complicated than I realised. I am using Explorer. Will look into LastPass

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now