Advanced search

Have caught a bug. Help.

(11 Posts)
clam Thu 05-Feb-15 17:31:03

Happens whenever I click on MN Talk - popups all over the place and I cannot uninstall them. Have run MalWareBytes and Microsoft Security Essntials, and tried to Uninstall anything that's added itself to the Program list in the last week. Some things refuse to let me unistall saying I do not have sufficient authority to do so!! angry It's MY f***ing laptop!
I'm on Chrome, and when I go to Tools and Extensions, I keep deleting something call LowRAte. It then pops back up again shortly afterwards. Everything I've googled about getting rid of this, doesn't cover what to do about it recurring.

cdtaylornats Fri 06-Feb-15 21:34:31

Option 1 - go to security settings in the control panel>Backup and Restore
go into syste restore
select a restore point before the problem occurred

Option 2 - switch to Firefox

clam Fri 06-Feb-15 23:34:08

Thanks - I've done the system restore thing already - twice in fact, and it still pops up.

Don't fancy Firefox. Are there any other options, do you think? Driving me mad! angry

imjustahead Fri 06-Feb-15 23:41:25

you can Google the virus. what have you installed recently. any updates? the pop ups can be tracked to system if you can do a Google. i recently removed malware by following some steps i found online.

imjustahead Fri 06-Feb-15 23:43:42

firefox has been my choice for a few years now. internet explorer was so bad for virus and very slow to load.

clam Sat 07-Feb-15 00:03:39

Haven't installed anything. I was minding my own business here on MN and then the pages started crashing and then all these popups started flashing. I use Google Chrome.
All the steps I've found on line, tell me what to do, but not how to prevent the blasted things coming back. I've deleted the LowRAte thing through settings/tools 3 times now, since posting half an hour ago.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Sat 07-Feb-15 00:12:33

Yep, Firefox here too. Dh sorted it out ass he'd heard it was much better.

clam Sat 07-Feb-15 13:15:02

I don't want to switch to Firefox. I want to get rid of this infuriating malware that keeps returning after deletion.

It's now getting worse.

trackrBird Sat 07-Feb-15 20:37:17

How about trying AdwCleaner - it has a good reputation for clearing up this type of thing:

clam Sat 07-Feb-15 22:52:03

Thank you, I shave saved that link for another time, as my nephew was over just now and has managed to fix it. Not sure what he did, but muttered something about program files and clickety-clicked and it's gone!

Thank God - it was driving me MAD!

Thanks all. wine

trackrBird Sun 08-Feb-15 17:19:57

Good news - and what an excellent nephew smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now