Talk

Advanced search

Any views on Apple/ iphones?

(16 Posts)
AutumnHaze Sat 03-Jan-15 19:59:39

I luv mine, run my life with it, even the photos are great, but it has recently broken, just over the warranty period. Cheeky. I cannot even transfer data over to a new phone, would have to input everything by hand. I cannot really afford a new iphone but can make a case for time-saving by uploading from the cloud. Any advice? Tia.

Hulababy Sat 03-Jan-15 20:08:20

When I broke mine - I washed it! - I went to the Apple store with it and got an Apple out of warranty refurb. Was about £140

AutumnHaze Sat 03-Jan-15 20:20:50

Now that's an idea. So you clearly stuck with Apple. I am undecided - it's still a lot of money for something which only just makes it out of the warranty period.

NetworkGuy Sat 03-Jan-15 20:55:31

Possibly a rarity that it died just out of warranty.

FWIW, while I have several (second hand) Intel and G5 iMac systems, and older (G4, and 2x G3) Macs, I've never considered buying one new (as they are, in my view, considerably overpriced, across the board).

Am puzzled that you cannot download items into some replacement (from CEX, CashGenerator, Grainger Games, or off Ebay) second hand iPhone.

littleducks Sat 03-Jan-15 21:07:09

I switched from apple to anderoid about a 18 months ago. Its so much eaiser not being tied to itunes. You can drag and drop files from your PC to phone.

Maybe less important if you are already fully invested in itunes etc. but it really improved things for me

Hulababy Sat 03-Jan-15 21:14:25

I def wanted to stick with Apple. We have other apple stuff such as phones, iPods and iPads, and I use iPads for school. All our music is on iTunes so made most sense for me.

AutumnHaze Sun 04-Jan-15 06:29:15

Thank you for all the responses. I still don't know what to do. Hopefully was just a bad one. I'm not invested in iTunes as have not really managed to make it work (bought stuff disappears etc so i don't trust it). I already moved from blackberry to apple and lost tonnes of data that way. If i move again, that must be it. The iPhone is broken and even half an day at the tech store didn't work to save my christmas photos. Any more advice?

serin Sun 04-Jan-15 21:29:43

I empathise.

DD (17) lost her iphone down the loo on boxing day, it wasn't even her fault as she didn't drop it.

We got her an Android replacement as it is just not financially viable to replace the iphone sad. She had hundreds of songs on the iphone. Music is her life.

We thought it would be simple to swap them to new phone but it seems to be anything but.

If you can make a case for a new one then I would say stick with your iphone.

AutumnHaze Mon 05-Jan-15 07:42:03

Oh that's awful, serin, I am sorry.
I think at this stage I am looking for an excuse to get another iphone. It is just cool though rediculously overpriced. Refurbished, definitely, NetworkGuy. Thank you all.

Izzy24 Mon 05-Jan-15 07:44:32

My iPhone would have died a long time ago without its very uncool cover.

Betrayedbutsurvived Mon 05-Jan-15 07:58:20

Have you been to apple with it? Sometimes, if you're very very lucky they'll do a free out of warranty replacement. Also, did you not have your phone backed up to the cloud?

XBoxTesting Mon 05-Jan-15 08:09:08

I'd definitely try for a refurb.

I'm typing this on an iphone, which I've had for years, so they've really sucked me into the iTunes ecology, and it'll be a pain to switch when it finally dies.

However, DD has an Android Moto G, which seems to do everything she needs for a tiny price, and DH and I are testing (as per nickname) a Nokia Lumia Windows 735 which is a fabulous, super-cheap bit of kit although a bit short on apps at the moment. You'd save a minimum of 300 quid by going for one of those rather than an iPhone 5.

Ask around friends and workmates; try out all their phones and see what they can do. It's a lot of excess money for the Apple name.

bluevanman Mon 05-Jan-15 08:18:14

iPhones don't die at end of warranty period - mine is now 4 years old and in perfect working order with no repairs. Show me a same age Samsung like that.

I've been semi-hoping it would break the last 6 months as an excuse to get the new one

iTunes isn't perfect system but it's not too bad once you get to know how to use it. For those wanting to get stuff off their iPhone without iTunes there's an open source software for windows called "sharepod"

Betrayedbutsurvived Mon 05-Jan-15 09:05:07

Actually now I think about it, Apple recently changed their warrenty in the eu, to six years under certain conditions, so it's well worth going into an apple shop with it.

AutumnHaze Mon 05-Jan-15 10:22:51

Thanks for all the responses. After hundreds of attempts, I finally managed to do a backup to the cloud which includes my Christmas photos, hurrah. It is really strange though - after chatting with apple support i did what they recommended and kept trying to backup to the pc via itunes, as they said much faster than phone backup to cloud, so more likely to succeed with a wonky, wobbly battery. It kept failing. So I was just sitting in the car and thought i'd try a mobile backup - and it worked.
Will think some more what to do now in light of your latest advice. Many thanks.

littleducks Mon 05-Jan-15 11:57:51

Glad you got your stuff back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now