Talk

Advanced search

Apple experts- moving iTunes library to apple TV

(5 Posts)
Littleturkish Sat 03-Jan-15 17:50:52

I don't just want to stream it to the TV, I want to store it all on there- is this possible??

My MacBook needs a serious declutter- I've deleted all movie and photo files and taken it into the Apple Store, my problem is my iTunes library: I have loads of duplicates, lots of TV series and films.

Is moving it all to an Apple TV a) possible or b) my best option?

Thanks in advance!

MN164 Sat 03-Jan-15 19:50:52

Not an expert but Apple TV doesn't store much (if anything). All it does is suck media (music, movies etc) from the internet or iTunes/iPhoto. If you don't have it in iCloud and don't have it in iTunes it won't appear in AppleTV.

If you have a budget you could buy a second hand MacMini on eBay, load it with your movies and music and leave it in a corner somewhere .....

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-Mac-Mini-2GHz-Intel-Core-2-Duo-4GB-Memory-320-GB-Hard-Drive-/251774927978?pt=UK_Computing_Apple_Desktops_CV&hash=item3a9ef4846a

Bumply Sat 03-Jan-15 19:57:53

You could subscribe to iTunes Match.
It allows you to store your music and videos with apple (doesn't have to have been bought via iTunes) and choose to download it via wifi when you want or keep it on local disk if you've got enough storage and want access without wifi.

Littleturkish Sat 03-Jan-15 20:01:49

That's not a bad idea- I was under the impression the Apple TV did have quite a bit of storage...but now I'm looking at the spec online you're right, it doesn't mention any.

Is it possible to put all of your iTunes into the cloud? Does it need to be kept as a hard copy anywhere?

Thanks so much for replying- I know I should get myself back down to the Apple Store to ask these questions!

Littleturkish Sat 03-Jan-15 20:02:48

Bumply- this is definitely what I need to do!

iTunes Match...right, will get onto that now and then start deleting!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now