Talk

Advanced search

Whatsapp - idiot's guide needed

(6 Posts)
Pamelaaa Mon 29-Dec-14 22:51:00

Can anyone give me a quick guide to how to get hold of this and how to use it? Can I use it on my ipad or only on my phone? How do I use it to contact people?

Thanks.

eurochick Mon 29-Dec-14 22:52:55

It's just like text messaging. We mainly use it for foreign rellies, to avoid overseas texting charges, and to send pictures, to avoid those charges.

It is not available for iPad, unfortunately.

Funkytown Mon 29-Dec-14 22:53:40

you can use it on both its in the app store
you add your phone number they will text you a pin/password and you set it up its pretty easy to do.
then it will ask to sync to contacts from your phone who already have was sap
then you can message send photos videos and voice notes

OhBuggeringBollocks Mon 29-Dec-14 22:54:25

Once you download the app you can go into contacts and it will sync with them so you can see who else has it. Then just message as you would a normal text message.

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtle Mon 29-Dec-14 22:55:07

download it from the App Store. it will ask you for your phone number. then you use it like the text message app, but it will only show your contacts who also have WhatsApp installed.

not sure about an iPad version, there wasn't one but I haven't checked for a long time.

NetworkGuy Tue 30-Dec-14 00:00:10

I found it would not work on an Android tablet or dongle (plugs into TV and uses HDMI) because neither had a SIM (and thus no mobile phone number).

It can be quite handy but it can also be used to track whether your phone is on or not, and whether you've seen a message.

Personally I prefer some privacy and therefore tend to use e-mail with my contacts, so they don't have the option to see if my phone is 'on' (I am online from midnight and sleep outside the normal hours, so like to know I can sleep without having to answer the phone, and if I leave it on, but in a different room {I sometimes have laptops etc getting data from the internet using my unlimited allowance on the phone}, it doesn't mean I am 'ignoring them' if I am asleep).

WhatsApp might give that impression if they can tell the phone is on but I won't answer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now