Talk

Advanced search

Safe for backup storage

(4 Posts)
Gozogozo Sun 14-Dec-14 21:35:03

Hi I have posted elsewhere asking for data safe recommendations, as I had my PC & backup drive fail very quickly. I now use a backup drive and cloud backup but still want to keep a backup in a safe elsewhere.

Can anyone recommend such a safe? TIA

NetworkGuy Sun 14-Dec-14 22:08:57

Have you no relatives or friends who could hold onto a backup for you? I'm guessing you want to use a safe as a form of protection from fire?

Also, Amazon Glacier as a tertiary backup might be worth considering - costs relatively peanuts, only used to 'retrieve' from if all else fails. (I think my calculation was a charge of 8 quid for a year holding 100 GB of backup data.)

niceguy2 Wed 17-Dec-14 12:26:00

I just encrypt my drive and sling it in the wife's car. That way half the day it's at her place of work so even if the house is on fire I still have backups.

I used to use Crashplan but to be honest it's too slow if you have a lot of data to store.

Lastly if you have a lot of photos and are an Amazon prime member then they're now offering prime members unlimited space for photos (including raw files)

Gozogozo Wed 17-Dec-14 13:42:55

Thank you both, very helpful, especially as it is photos, so valuable to me and my family only.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now