Talk

Advanced search

Please tell me about DAB car radios

(14 Posts)

I was thinking I might buy DH one for Christmas.
What would I realistically have to spend? Max budget is £150, preferably much less.
Any recommendations?
Do I need to buy other kit to get it up and running?
Thanks!

Bunbaker Sat 06-Dec-14 23:10:26

My car has a digital radio and quite frankly they aren't worth it. When driving around I keep losing the signal. I get a far better sound on FM.

Oh really. That's a bit crap. Thought I was on to something there sad. Might have to think again.

Bumping for any more opinions. Thanks.

Bunbaker Mon 08-Dec-14 15:29:24

I have done a bit of googling and the general consensus is that the sound quality isn't better and reception is patchy, which has been my experience.

Thanks Bunbaker, have pretty much decided I won't bother. Just thought it would be good to have a bit of 6 Music in the car. I'll get my thinking cap on again.

northernmummeh Mon 08-Dec-14 17:17:17

I was looking into one for myself. But Tbh with smart phones and if you have a decent data allowance most digital stations have apps or are on tunein so I plug my phone into the stereo and get digital that way

Bunbaker Mon 08-Dec-14 17:21:23

DD likes to listen to Kerrang on the car radio, but I lose the signal completely quite frequently. It is very hilly where I live though.

choccyp1g Mon 08-Dec-14 17:25:52

Well if they are anything like my home one don't bother. Rubbish reception, whereas the fm radio in the car is perfect ( except in the underground car park)

21questions Mon 08-Dec-14 17:28:24

I have dab in my car and I never lose reception I find it great, but I have no idea regrading the cost or instalation as it was already in the car when I bought it sorry.

Bunbaker Mon 08-Dec-14 17:42:12

I think reception quality must depend on where you live.

Hulababy Mon 08-Dec-14 17:55:42

Some regions are better than others with DAB.
Sheffield where we are is fine - good signal.
If we ever drive through Doncaster to see family - no signal.

Bunbaker Mon 08-Dec-14 17:59:19

I'm north of Sheffield near Penistone and I lose the signal in Oxspring. The sound quality isn't as good as that of FM radio when I do get a signal.

Butkin Wed 10-Dec-14 13:29:51

It came as standard on my Tiguan and I love it. Yes it does drop the signal occasionally. Talksport is particularly bad in very precise areas (few 100 metres) on my commute. However it has two great advantages for a sport lover : a) Talksport/Radio 5 Live Sports Extra (for the cricket) are so easy... and b) the sound quality is far superior to FM when you get the signal. I imagine music lovers would really appreciate 6 Music as well. My system can switch easily between FM and DAB so best of both worlds.. Personally I would go for it as long as you can still access FM on the system.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now