Talk

Advanced search

What's wrong with my iPad???

(13 Posts)
FTS123 Mon 01-Dec-14 21:05:00

It won't download anything from iplayer any more and it won't do updates. I've synced it and updated the iOS but still it's rubbish. Shall I just throw it at the wall? It should be fast, I've got fibre optic and everything hmm

poorbuthappy Mon 01-Dec-14 21:09:34

Have you run out of space?

FTS123 Mon 01-Dec-14 21:13:21

No, still got some left

nannynick Mon 01-Dec-14 22:10:28

In iOS, Go to settings. Scroll down the list and find iPlayer. Check that it says
Version 4.4.0.157

Open iPlayer app.
Go to Downloads
Select Queue
Make sure Download Programmes is on - circle to the right, pink showing.
Make sure High Quality Downloads if off - circle to the left, no pink.

Select TV, then select Search.
Type in: Timmy
Select: Timmy Time
There are at the time of writing this 36 episodes available. So should be at least one by the time you do it.
The most recent episode will probably not have the Download option, so select something a bit older...
I am selecting Series 3: 14. Timmy and the Super Rabbit
Download link appears, select that and it changes to Preparing
Then it gives time left... less than 1 min in my case.
It then says Delete Download - don't select that.
Select <Back (top left)
Select Done (top right)
Should now be back at the main iPlayer screen, showing Home.
Select Downloads
Select Downloaded
Is Timmy Time in the list? Does it play?

Any other symptoms your iPad has?

FTS123 Mon 01-Dec-14 22:22:27

Wow! It's downloading now but has 14 mins left...now 1hr...now 1 min it seems todo a bit then get stuck, and the little circle thing disappears back to 2 mins now and stuck

FTS123 Mon 01-Dec-14 22:23:16

Also the typing is very slow, takes forever to catch up with me and I'm not particularly fast!

FTS123 Mon 01-Dec-14 22:26:20

Now it says download expires on 06/12/14 but it hasn't finished downloading

nannynick Mon 01-Dec-14 23:26:25

typing - do you mean when using Safari, or using Mumsnet App, or something else?

I find the app a bit strange at times, parts of the keyboard disappear. Think the Mumsnet app is getting a major update soon.

The downloading speed seems a bit odd. Have to rebooted the iPad and your WiFi router recently? Is connection slow for any other devices you use on WiFi?

FTS123 Tue 02-Dec-14 11:59:36

Typing an email for example...all other devices work fine and at a good speed!

nannynick Tue 02-Dec-14 14:52:38

Have you rebooted it?
If so then there is clearly something wrong but will be very hard to know what. Book an appointment at Apple Store Genius Bar.
Is it several years old, or new?

FTS123 Tue 02-Dec-14 17:56:10

It's couple of years old, will take it to apple at the weekend :-( thanks for help anyway!

StickyProblem Wed 03-Dec-14 07:06:19

Mine is a few years old, it's an iPad 2, and it works better than DP's newer iPad Mini, I think it's because I never download the new OS. I don't know if going back to an old OS is possible though. DP has trouble with his slowing down every so often and a reboot usually sorts it. Hope you get it fixed at Apple.

ihatethecold Wed 03-Dec-14 07:30:53

There Is no way I'm updating my ipad2 to the latest IOS8.
I think it renders older apple products useless.
Forces you to upgrade.
I'm sure it's a bit of a scam.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now