Talk

Advanced search

Replacement for aging (and poss defunct) laptop

(5 Posts)
TheSilveryPussycat Thu 27-Nov-14 16:51:57

Tried to clean lap-top and it went phut! Am hoping it is rescueable, but also been wondering about a replacement.

I want a keyboard, that's for sure, but would a pad/tablet of some sort be a good idea? I use Excel, Word, and Mumsnet, a lot.

Or should I go for a laptop replacement (do they exist?) plus a separate tablet?

Am on at the library, so may be a few days before I read replies.

yomellamoHelly Thu 27-Nov-14 18:21:48

Get a chromebook. Use google docs. Everything on cloud.

trackrBird Fri 28-Nov-14 19:07:32

Personally I wouldn't use a tablet for Office documents, except on a very casual basis, or with very simple documents. I would stick with a laptop: it's better for desktop productivity, IMHO, whereas a tablet is generally better for viewing content ( ie the web), entertainment, and short tasks.

If the budget will take it, I'd opt for a laptop and separate tablet. I wouldn't be without either!

However - it's up to you. You might find a tablet (or a laptop) does all you need.

DoctorTwo Sun 30-Nov-14 16:42:17

Get one of the Linux OSs and run that. I use Fedora, it takes up a tiny amount of hard drive (about 4.3GB) and uses hardly any processor power.

TheSilveryPussycat Mon 08-Dec-14 21:25:28

Laptop back, with new keyboard smile

Thanks for replies; my experience borrowing a tablet has not endeared me, though tbf it didn't have a keyboard. So status quo for the present.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now