Talk

Advanced search

Am I being paranoid... (Apple webcam)

(15 Posts)
Icantwaituntilxmas Wed 19-Nov-14 19:45:26

Posted this in chat and don't know how to move it? So I have just reposted here - sorry if this is against rules or something.

Have a MacBook Air. Noticed the green webcam light was on, but I wasn't using the camera and haven't used FaceTime/iPhoto etc since I got it last year - haven't used camera at all really.

I google and there were a couple of people on Apple threads with a similar problem... and some things did come up about poss. of people watching you on the camera?

So, I decided to cover the camera with blue-tack. Took it off after 5mins and light was still on so put it back on. Waited another 5mins and light had turned off.

So, am I being completely paranoid to think that someone else could have been accessing my webcam? No idea how long it was on for until I saw it, but I've been on it since about 4pm working. Does anyone it's possible or is there a more likely explanation? confused

Thanks.

Icantwaituntilxmas Wed 19-Nov-14 20:54:16

Bump

MuddyBootsAndPinkCoats Wed 19-Nov-14 21:02:00

I don't think you're being paranoid. It may well just be an erroneous bug, but it is possible to hack people's webcams.

MuddyBootsAndPinkCoats Wed 19-Nov-14 21:03:38

Charity advises covering webcams..

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22967622

Icantwaituntilxmas Wed 19-Nov-14 21:14:59

Agh, ok thanks for reassuring me I'm not completely nutty. I still have it covered with blue tack and I think I'm going to change the wifi password.
It's the fact that it came on without me going near a camera app, then switched off again about 10mins after I had covered it.

Will keep it covered for the time being, thanks.

mymummademelistentoshitmusic Wed 19-Nov-14 21:18:36

You're being paranoid - but I do like that top you're wearing grin

MuddyBootsAndPinkCoats Wed 19-Nov-14 21:20:44

I'm surprised more people don't cover them to be honest !

I don't think changing your wireless password will change much though. If there was something fishy going on it'd just go down your already established connection with your wireless.

OddBoots Wed 19-Nov-14 21:23:00

I always have a sticky plaster over my camera, I have done for years. I don;t care if that makes me paranoid, I'd rather be cautious.

MuddyBootsAndPinkCoats Wed 19-Nov-14 21:24:06

grin mymum

And just look at that pile of washing in the corner (tuts)

Icantwaituntilxmas Wed 19-Nov-14 22:42:04

grin I'm more worried about the fact that I was eating at the keyboard (I know.. I know..)
Hope I didn't pull any Ed Milliband bacon sandwich faces.

Icantwaituntilxmas Wed 19-Nov-14 22:42:22

Woops, *Miliband.

MuddyBootsAndPinkCoats Thu 20-Nov-14 05:24:09

Eek... Just saw this from today's news

www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-30121159

Crazeeladee Thu 20-Nov-14 05:33:23

Mine's doing exactly the same! I noticed it a few weeks ago and googled it but I saw some sites that said it was normal after the update. It's worrying that yours went off afterwards though,

PausingFlatly Thu 20-Nov-14 23:20:55

Saw your thread yesterday and asked a techie friend who has expertise in this area.

He's pretty sure you've got something nasty, and should take your machine to computer hospital. Sorry.

Icantwaituntilxmas Fri 21-Nov-14 15:05:55

Ok. Thanks pausing. I will take it into apple as soon as I get the chance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now