Talk

Advanced search

Christmas present for computer mad 7 year old

(5 Posts)
sunnyrosegarden Mon 10-Nov-14 17:17:25

I'm reluctant to get an xbox (think the 360 almost obsolete, xbox 1 is expensive!) so looking for alternatives. This is a child who has limited screen time, plays piano, chess and has an electronics circuit kit which he loves.

He has a wii which is hardly used, shares a tablet with his brother, plays minecraft abd Scratch on my tablet. Uses Garage Band on a ipad at music school.

I have very limited computer knowledge. I wondered whether a raspberry pi is worth looking at, or whether he is too young. Is there anything else which I'm missing re: coding, rather than gaming?

thanks.

sunnyrosegarden Mon 10-Nov-14 17:18:02

sorry, meant my laptop, not tablet.

Ferguson Mon 10-Nov-14 17:37:01

Our DS started coding aged five. So, yes a Pi would be good, particularly as he likes his electronics kit.

There is also a thing called Kano, that uses a Pi, but I don't know who makes it, and I felt it was a bit gimmicky; so the original Pi is probably better.

There are Pi user groups all over the county, many schools use them, and there are forums on the internet.

As he plays piano, also consider MIDI and sound modules, which Pi can probably interface with anyway.

velouria Mon 10-Nov-14 17:52:52

How about a cheap desktop or laptop. Could obviously be used for homework and possible coding etc I know nada about that. Also could be used for minecraft related purposes.

velouria Mon 10-Nov-14 17:53:23

Oh ignore me, didn't see the second post blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now