Talk

Advanced search

Full c drive on Windows 8.1

(4 Posts)
AnythingNotEverything Mon 10-Nov-14 16:15:18

I hope someone can help. I'm at the end of my limited knowledge and DS is getting desperate!

He has a PC, bought for gaming and putting videos on YouTube. His 456gb c drive is showing as only 36 gb remaining, even though the contents (inc hidden files) don't add up to anywhere near that.

Can you help? What's sting his space?!

We've deleted everything we can, compressed the disk ... Can't defragment as it's NTFS (sp?))

Any thoughts?

Cindy34 Tue 11-Nov-14 19:56:18

Try a tool like CCleaner. See if it can identify what is using space. Run it in analyse mode, it will show you what it finds and then give the option to do the search again and delete the stuff it finds.

You may want to change the default settings on CCleaner as it can delete cookies which may be storing passwords for websites.

Cindy34 Tue 11-Nov-14 19:58:18

Have you searched for video files and removed those not wanted? Common extensions are: avi, mov, m4v, mp4.

AnythingNotEverything Tue 11-Nov-14 20:02:39

Thanks. I tried TreeSize but there was an error and it wouldn't installconfused

In the end I did disk clean up for the third time and found one of the items was 300gb! Sorted now.

Thanks for your advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now